Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car does not have a number plate holder in the front, dealer asked for 140 $ to fix a bracket. So offcourse I said no thank you. Is it mandatory to have on in the front in Virginia? Is the attachment available in auto parts stores? And what tools will I need?

Also I had a question about a light which I saw in the dash. I am talking abt the one in the multi function indicator. To the left of the outside teperature indicator, there is a light. The light's function is not explained in the manual. That light was on for a while and then it went off and a warning type of sound came on while it went out. After that the light did not come back on. I thought that the light was always on. If anyone has a pic of the instrument cluster I can point out the light, (I couldnt find one now while searching. seen it before though on PW) thanks!

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
By number plate I assume you mean License PLate? If so...YES it is a requirement to be on the front of your car. Some people place them in the windshields, but I dont know if that is 100% legal either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I suppose thats what it is. The one to the left of the temperature. So where can I read what it does? does it change anything the way the engine runs? Theres is no snow here and my passat has seen colder days. Though I must say that the temperature was exactly the same as shown in your illustration. Any idea what kinda sensor is involved?

And the front licence plate thing sucks, spoils the look of the car! Anyways thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
... So where can I read what it does? does it change anything the way the engine runs? Theres is no snow here and my passat has seen colder days. Though I must say that the temperature was exactly the same as shown in your illustration. Any idea what kinda sensor is involved?..

·
Registered
406 Posts
So my car does not have a number plate holder in the front, dealer asked for 140 $ to fix a bracket. So offcourse I said no thank you. Is it mandatory to have on in the front in Virginia? Is the attachment available in auto parts stores? And what tools will I need?
Seems to me that if front plates are required then the dealer should (or must) supply the necessary hardware (duct tape doesn't count).

·
Registered
300 Posts
The snowflake just reminds you that there may be black ice on the roads at that temperature.

As for the front license plate bracket, it's pretty easy to install. I'd just buy the part or a generic front plate bracket and either DIY or have a friend install it. Or you could always just bolt the plate to the front of your bumper, but that's :puke:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I will look for a bracket today, but the reason did not have it in the first place is because the car is from Michigan. I need to drill holes to fix the bracket right? so if the bracket attachment is a bolt+nut type I will need to access the back of the bumper. And thats not gonna be easily accessible is it?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you have a B5 or a B5.5? I know on the B5.5 the bracket is secured with plastic plugs that snap in place via a plastic rod that's inserted in the middle of each plug to spread out the "feet" once the plug is in the hole.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love the snowflake...I hate the warning...miss a heartbeat when it comes :nervous:
Yep, the "DING!" freaks me out. It'll just come out of the blue. So, that irks me but what I really don't like is VW feeling like they need to notify me when the temp hits 39 degrees. I may not be the best driver in the world but I think I drive far more appropriately for given road conditions than a lot of my fellow drivers do. I know when to slow down, VW, I know when to use my headlights, and I know when weather conditions are turning iffy and I might need to pay a little more attention. It's kinda like an 'upshift' light on a manual tranny -- insulting!

My rant.

I hope to get my vag-com cable working one day and, if I do, to then figure out how to at least disable the chime. That would be a step in the right direction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts