Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it. With the Republican vote decided, I jumped over and voted Dem. The first time in my life. I made sure everyone knew that it was for today only (funny thing is everyone laughed and raised their hands) and asked the poll worker if there was anyway I could not have my name listed on the Democratic rollsheets. I did it for two reasons. One, to help keep the Democratic Party race going and two, to vote for Constable. Both men in running for constable are running in the Democratic Primary. Between my family and my neighbors, we had 8 votes for Hillary and 8 votes for our choice in the constable's race. We left the other races blank. It was the worst feeling I ever had, but I had to do it for America.:lol:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Ok... WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE'S SCITEACH ??!?!?!?!!?!?! :D
Just when I decided to write Rudy's name on the ballot... :banghead:

·
0 Posts
Now all the Dem's will switch parties and become republicans....Hey wait a minute!:lookout:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
I did the same. I looked at it as a three candidate race (McCain, Clinton, Obama) and I voted to eliminate the least desirable of the three. What really pushed me was Obama's $1,000 tax credit bribe to the "middle class" and "working families". Details are vague from his website and speeches but as best as I can figure it appears a family income of $50,000 is the threshhold. Not that others haven't made promises to attract certain segments, but Obama's presentation is so specific to dollar amount that in my mind, it's basically a promise to hand out $1,000 checks if he's elected. The problem is the whole matter has to be approved by Congress/Senate and his math on how to pay for it is questionable. Items like lowering the federal estate tax level to $1,000,000 aren't going to cut it.

The "taking jobs overseas" issue is beat to death too. Large (or small) corporations don't build plants and move the jobs overseas. They change suppliers. Just like they can change domestic suppliers. There is no current or proposed changes that can prevent this type of activity. It's basic supply and demand. Unless somebody is proposing a complex system of tariffs on imported goods of many types, nothing will prevent U.S. corps from continuing to source parts/products overseas when the economics work to their advantage.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I really don't see any significant differences between Clinton and Obama on issues. They are nearly the same. The math to pay for the programs either of them propose is open to debate and they both have to face the problem of getting their projects through Congress.

Clinton has been beating to death the angle that she's the candidate with the experience and he's the one with the pretty speeches. She's the one you want taking that 3am call, etc. I don't see any deep experience that makes her a markedly better choice than him. I look at the two and see basically the same candidate on issues, but he has a lot more charisma and is more inspiring. And, seriously, she wants to claim that her experience will make her a wiser leader, but she blew it on the Iraq vote. He did not. There's just a sleeze factor with her that is hard to overcome. I think she voted for Iraq originally because she (like many, many others) didn't have the nerve to vote her conscience but, instead, stuck her finger in the air and checked the political winds and voted accordingly. Now she is doing the same with all the backtracking and spinning on her original position.

If she becomes the nominee, it would be amusing to see McCain run a similar "call at 3am" ad, only showing him taking that call. How's she going to argue that she is more qualified to be commander in chief than him? I think the Democrats are flirting with handing the election to the Republicans again.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Well I voted yesterday but only in the Primary, not the caucus. I'm still not sure why they have this system in Texas. Can anyone explain this? Apparently Clinton won the Primary but Obama is ahead in the caucus. Apparently 2/3 of the delegates are selected in the primary and 1/3 in the caucus. But still, I dont see why they cant just do a primary.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
There's just a sleeze factor with her that is hard to overcome.
She wouldn't have left a stain on the dress.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I look at the two and see basically the same candidate on issues, but he has a lot more charisma and is more inspiring.
I just don't see that. Every time I've seen or heard Obama speak, he sounded like a guy that needed to clear his brain to get his words out in the right order.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts