Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I had my car in as the wonderful new aero blades were shot at 4000 miles. I called and they said just show up and they will swap them out. I did on a Saturday and in less than 30 min. they got a tech over, replaced them and the rear (variant) and I was on my way. In and out for walk in service, they got all 5's on the survey.

Now, 6 weeks later I get this note from the dealership with the service receipt that was going to be mailed to me the next day.

Mr. XXXXXXX
Please keep in mind if they call to do the follow up survey it is related to me and only any score LESS than YES or 5 is a fail for me. If for any reason you feel you can't answer will all 5's or Yes please pass on the entire survey. Please let know if I can do anything to help.
This is for the wiper replacement xx/xx/2004.

Thank you
xxxxxxx (service)

There are no typo's above, that is exactly how the note reads, missing words and all.

I was pretty bent out of shape that they sent me a note saying to pass on a customer service survey if I can't give them a perfect score. It also incuded a copy of the survey with how the scoring works.

I had a service done there 5 months ago and there was a problem that went unaddressed so I answered "No" to were all the problems addressed. Anyone think that is why I have the note. My cars have been there a few times and I have never received one. Of course they may not go back there now.

What do you think? Should I call VWoA and let them know about the note?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Guyute said:
What do you think? Should I call VWoA and let them know about the note?
I would.

I've worked for both kinds of dealerships-the kind that cheats and bribes customers into basically lying on the survey, and the kind I work at now, who just does the best job we can and hopes that the customer isn't in a bad mood when VW calls them.

People don't know it but that survey is MURDER on dealers if it isn't all 5's.

People also don't know that if you give a 4 or less it is a fail. And if you give a 4 or less for a totally stupid reason, the dealer is told this and they probably won't be as nice to you on your next visit since you can't be pleased anyway.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
julianfang said:
Sharky, these surveys aren't anonymous? great....
Of course they're not anonymous.

Perhaps people would tell the truth and quit hurting us because THEY are stupid if the knew it would get back to us.

I'm exaggerating? I AM?

Example of stupid customer:

Brings their Beetle in because the rear hatch trim around the glass is hanging down. I had NEVER seen this trim break before. Got to looking, and the shop that had tinted their windows had taken the trim off to better get at the corners of the glass or something. All but two of the little plastic tabs that hold the trim on were snapped completely off.

Told the customer that they should talk to the tint shop that ruined their trim, and that VW could not warranty someone else's error, especially on trim. Well, they get all shitty with us when they come to get their car, and gave us all 0's on the survey, even adding in the comments that we are scum because we won't "honor the warranty."

Funny part is, we DID "honor the warranty." They are just too stupid to see it.

So our CSI average took a dive down to like 70 percent because of that ONE moron.

They won't be welcomed back with open arms if they return, believe me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My brother-in-law had Audi call him after a service call. He told them what a poor job they did (And they REALLY did). Now he's banned from going to the dealership. They got mad he scored them so low. He had no idea of the reprucussions. In Knoxville, the only other Audi/VW dealers are 2 hours away, so now he's screwed when things happen. He can't even get his oil changed under warranty. Audi says they are not responsible for individual dealers unless more than a handful of people complain.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I try and be honest on the surveys .. trouble is when you are it seems to bite you .. I recently gave a 0 on a survey and I think i was justified in doing so.

I live 3.5 hours from the nearest dealer and this is not thier problem it is my problem so to try and curb any situations that result in wasted trips I set up appointments well in advance ( 3 to 4 weeks ) by telephone and confirm them by e-mail.

Last summer I had a lackie at a tire dealer mess up some threads on my passenger side front hub ( 03 4Mo). They purchased the hub/bearing assy and requested I have VW replace it because they didn't have the correct tools.

My sister lives in one of the towns with a VW deal so I contacted that dealer and set up an appointment to have a scheduled service done along with the hub replacement. I selected this dealer because I could stay at her house free and there was a car show Iwanted to attned close by.

When setting up the appointment the dealer asked me to read off the part numbers from the boxes to confirm they were right.. they were. I also told him the reason I was coming over. *because of the need for special VW tools*

I arrive at the dealer at 8 AM per appointment. Drop the car off and leave with my sister. Four (4) hours later they call me on my cell to inform me the car is ready. I drop by to pick it up and then they tell me they don't have the tools to fix it.

As compensation they did a full safety inspection on the car for free ..... A safety inspection on a car that has 16,000 miles on it ... A safety inspection that has no value.

When I voiced my displeasure and the fact that it was 7 hours of driving, that I had to confirm the parts were right .. cost me dinner for 4 and I am still going to have to drive 3.5 hours the other direction to the other dealer and get a motel / food etc.
they just brushed me off.

Result .. "0" Then I get a follow up call form the owner expressing his displeasure??

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Jesstzn said:
Result .. "0" Then I get a follow up call form the owner expressing his displeasure??
Well that's crap.

The 0 you gave was justified.

Frankly, most poor survey results at my dealer or any dealer are justified.

Its the few people who give zeroes out of spite when we did NOTHING wrong that piss me off.

We got a zero because the area that the customer drives their car into was TOO NARROW.

If the owner really called you, I'd call VWOA on HIS ass, too.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i understand that it isn't welcomed for negative surveys, but why should a customer be mistreated because he's being honest. i have given my dealer chances to do simple things correctly and they fail miserably EVERY time. i WILL not pat my mechanic on the back for a 90 minute oil change. i asked them to replace ALL bellypan hardware after this hour and a half oil change i drive away from dealer irritated it took so long and the belly pan drops in front after 35 feet?!!! i turn around ASAP ask the manager and the request never made it past the moron service manager (who drives a WRX!!! :mad: ) i will never give the dealership my keys again. i recommend them to no one and wish them on no one. sorry sharky, they've lost all respect. VW owners are a differnt bunch than the a2 golfers, they expect little more than being treated respectfully. banning from a dealership or black listing is simply wrong. (again, i understand about the beetle moron). i hope that i am dead wrong, or perhaps my local is one of the "other" dealers you speak of. i still have had the experiences with them. i WON'T be back, and if VWOA asks, i will tell the truth.

sorry on topic
...Should I call VWoA and let them know about the note?
yes

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
You're preaching to the choir, 99.

You can give that kind of experience 0's all day long and it won't bother me-they had it coming.

I am all about accountability-they EARNED a 0.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Sharky said:
Jesstzn said:

I did ...

Sharky I feel for survice advisors and generally anyone that works dealing with the public. Its seems that the public , when talking to them, jump right in thier asshole mode and get on some sort of fantasy power trip and takes it out on them.

I have bought new cars every 2 years since I was 18 and have long since found that the service dept is your best friend and in most cases if you treat the service advisor like a partener it will pay back 1000%

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i think my dealer is also smart enough to not give out surveys. they just screw you smack your ass and laugh as you leave.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Jesstzn said:
Sharky said:
Jesstzn said:

I did ...

Sharky I feel for survice advisors and generally anyone that works dealing with the public. Its seems that the public , when talking to them, jump right in thier asshole mode and get on some sort of fantasy power trip and takes it out on them.

I have bought new cars every 2 years since I was 18 and have long since found that the service dept is your best friend and in most cases if you treat the service advisor like a partener it will pay back 1000%
Treating the service advisor like a human will help, definately.

It puts him in a better mood, and generally the SA will relate his like of you to the mechanic. The mechanic will like knowing he is working on a good guy's car, so he might be more apt to do a couple teensy little things for you for free just because you're a decent guy.

I find myself doing free stuff for good customers all the time. Nothing big, but things like unlocking the radio to get it out of SAFE mode, HVAC light bulbs, lubing squeaky door hinges, blowing out the snowscreen...just little stuff.

If I know the customer and they come to me even for stuff that isn't profitable like oil changes, I will do free road trip inspections, plug a leaky tire, whatever they need. It is worth it to me to eat the labor on tiny things like that just so they have some peace of mind and only come to me for service.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
99blackmagic said:
i think my dealer is also smart enough to not give out surveys. they just screw you smack your ass and laugh as you leave.
The only survey that matters is the one from VW proper when you've gone to the dealership for a WARRANTY repair.

Stuff you paid for doesn't count.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
oh ok. thanks for clarification. i guess i'll never get one then

·
Registered
95 Posts
So what I gather from this discussion is:
If you plan on giving your local dealer's service department anything but fives and yesses, you might want to think about not returning there because the surveys are not confidential.
but-
What if you decide not to take the survey at all? Is it still a fail? Wouldn't the rating survey depend on your privacy policy agreement with VW?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
tazmo said:
So what I gather from this discussion is:
If you plan on giving your local dealer's service department anything but fives and yesses, you might want to think about not returning there because the surveys are not confidential.
but-
What if you decide not to take the survey at all? Is it still a fail? Wouldn't the rating survey depend on your privacy policy agreement with VW?
That is mostly true, though from my perspective the ONLY time you might want to think about not returning there is if you act like a brat and rate them poorly on purpose when they were only doing what VW mandates, like in the case of Mr. Beetle I explained before.

Again, most less than perfect surveys a dealership has coming to them. I make mistakes, my service writer makes mistakes, the parts people make mistakes, and VW itself makes mistakes. For these reasons, it is foreseeable that we are not ALWAYS going to be able to satisfy EVERY customer to the point they will give us a 5.

If you have a legitimate problem with how you were dealt with while having warranty work done, talk to the service manager. If he is a jerk, I say blast away on that survey. When the surveyor asks you if you have any comments, BE SPECIFIC! THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT WILL SEE THIS! Don't let them have ANY excuse for not understanding what they did wrong.

However, I think dumping on the dealer via the survey is only a last resort. They can't fix a problem if you don't point it out to them. Some things are open to interpretation-we have gotten bawled out for NOT washing a customer's car, but more often than not some arrogant Passat W8 or Touareg customer will get mad at us FOR washing their car.

We can't always win. But at least give us a fair shake.

·
Registered
666 Posts
In all my experiences, VW service sux period. I wish I had gotten a survey in the mail. Anyway, what's up with the note? I would definately report that, how desperate and disconcerting.

Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. We just pointed out the flaw in this survey. First, it should be anonymous or they should tell you it is not. Second, they should fail for a 4, most people probably consider that above average. It is a stupid, flawed survey that should be corrected.

Think I am going to call VWoA on Monday. Don't have to worry, I have like 5 other dealers on my way to work.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
If VWOA gets the survey before the dealer does, include the letter you received with the survey. Then call VWOA and let them know you sent an attachement with the survey.

I have blasted a domestic dealer twice for failing to fix a problem on two different vehicles. One was a 2000 Blazer that leaked oil for the entire two years I owned it with numerous trips to the dealer to fix things. Second time was after explicitly telling the service write that the 2002 Trailblazer had bad bushings causing it to rattle over imperfections in the pavement only to have them tighten the hood prop. While I did not penalize them with all zeros I did fill out the comments section completely expressing my dissatisfaction with the misdiagnosis. I was contacted by the dealer and things were made right the second time, including personal test drives with the service manager to confirm the problem and later its resolution.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, what benefits does dealer get from getting all 5s? Or what problems from getting all 0s? This was never clear to me. My merc dealer always gets me free tank of gas if I bring 5s survey to them. We are talking 30-35 bucks (well, probably less with wholesale prices, but still) just for getting 5s. Seems like it's a really big deal but why?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts