Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01.5 Passat GLX with the V6 and 5-Speed with only 29,000 miles on it. In the morning when its cold, it is very notchy and almost doesn't want to go into 2nd or 3rd. Once its warmed up, its not much better. I'm hoping this is normal for it, but I do find it quite annoying. I've seen that subframe brace/tranny mount made by AWE. The review I read on it said that when bolted to an Audi A4, it improved shifting feel by reducing the engines side to side movement under torque and throttle response. Does anyone think this might smooth out my shifting a bit? Also, i've seen some short shifters advertised that claim to provide smoother shifts. Any comments or opinions? I would tend to think that a short shifter would make my problem worse due to shorter throws/reduced time between shifts. I plan on changing my gear oil to Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic shortly, but doubt it will make much difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is getting increasingly annoying and I dont forsee it getting any better over time. I'm seriously considering selling my car and buying a GTI or Jetta with a VR6.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I plan on changing my gear oil to Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic shortly
Make sure that oil is compatible with your vw tranny. From what I heard only the redline mt90, redline mtl, and the vw oil are the only stuff that are safe to use. I think the mobil 1 is gl5 which contains sulfur which destroys the brass sycros in the transmission.

As for the rough shifts, that is normal. There were a few other posts with the same problem a little while back. If you do a search you may be able to pull up some more info.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live near the Hershey/Harrisburg area in Pennsylvania. Any ideas where I could purchase any of the redline oils mentioned? Anywhere on the internet? My vw manual, and bentley service manual never mentioned anything about what specifications the gear oil i use should meet, just that it should be synthetic and 75w-90.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I replaced my 1.8T 5-Spd shifter with a Neuspeed Short-Shifter a few years ago and the difference was amazing! (Definately less 'notchy')
Don't discount a good short-shifter, until you've tried one -- I can't speak for the V6 SS, but the one I installed made my car feel like a different car!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, also, I think the gl-5 mentioned on the back of my mobil 1 gear oil is a specification or requirement that certain car manufactures want their gear oil to meet. I personally never heard of any syn. oils being bad for brass syncros, but I could be wrong. Anyone else have any ideas, opinions, suggestions etc.?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You guys rock

I just got a 2nd hand 99 Passat 1.9TDi and was very worried about the cold shifting into 2nd gear... "Maybe it's just me" sort of thing.

I can sleep easier tonight :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
i have no problems shifting into 2nd at any temperature. it's pretty hard to downshift into 1st when it's cold, though. you have to be almost at a complete stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts