Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of people here have lowered their car without any problems, but many people, especially the ones with V6s :D , have worried about busting their oil pan on ice chunks, potholes, steep driveways, etc. There are some aluminium belly pans out there for $250+, so better protection comes with a significant price tag.

Would anyone be interested in free detailed shop drawings that we could give to local steel fabricators? I can put together drawings, specifications, etc. All I need are detailed dimensions. I know a few people here have fabricated their own belly pans, so your input would be very welcome.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Ian

·
Registered
684 Posts
A week too late.... I already ordered an aluminum skid plate from QMR Motorsports.

But, steel, eh? You're not worried about rust? Or weight?

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
My neighbor's best friend works in a metal shop and would be able to make it out of aluminum, if I had dimensions and drawings for him.

Sure, I'd take a set.

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My neighbor's best friend works in a metal shop and would be able to make it out of aluminum, if I had dimensions and drawings for him.

Sure, I'd take a set.
All I need is someone who can remove their belly pan and give me dimensions. I'll produce drawings from those. :)

8,184 Posts
Too bad nobody knows anybody with an autoclave. This would be a PERFECT application for carbon fiber.
My skid plate is carbon fiber :lol: they the dessielgeek swap the carbon fiber for metal. But heres the funny thing why don't you just take your off?? It will be the same thing.....W8 or whatever you have the holes are going to line up the same

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QMR looks like welds are involved, and the shape more complex.
Wouldn't CF be less tolerant of impact damage?
Definitely looks like there are welds on the QMR pan. I think a simpler design might be easier and cheaper to fab'. Heck, I could even add reinforcing below the oil pan for us V6ers.

Carbon fiber probably wouldn't be my choice since it's brittle. One good hit and it's toast.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Would anyone be interested in free detailed shop drawings that we could give to local steel fabricators? I can put together drawings, specifications, etc. All I need are detailed dimensions. I know a few people here have fabricated their own belly pans, so your input would be very welcome.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Ian
This is the kind of stuff we need....I have a couple of friends that are in injection molding and metal works industries. If we could pool together stuff like this and compensate them adequately at no expense of quality, we could really save ourselves a lot of money.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I believe the QMR is bigger though, covers more of the tranny
Of course, we could just GB some of these, though I'd love one more V6 specific

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
You see on the Diesel Geek one the tranny pan is uncovered, the pic of the QMR is bad, but it looks liek it'd protect the trans pans
Speaking of that, how much is shipping from Canukistan? Customs?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts