Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted earlier to remind folks to check their battery level and to add distilled water, if necessary.

So, at lunchtime, I decided to check mine and this is what I found...

Is this a maintenance-free battery? I expected to see caps to open it to check it. Actually, I thought all VW's still used the traditional "add water" battery yet. The phillips-screw-head shaped thingie near the "negative" marker is the "green-it's-okay" eye (ala Delco batteries). Am I good to go?

-EDIT-

This is the battery in a 2003 Variant, build date of 06/2002, Emden assembly plant.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Altair 4...I had to chuckle a little when I read to check your battery water level. Not that those types of batteries don't exist anymore, but I've owned VW's since the 70's and recall only owning a couple of those types of batteries.

I still have my '72 Beetle waiting for the warmer weather....

I just wasn't sure the next thing mentioned was to clean the 8-track or cassette heads in the radio H.U.... :lol:.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't laugh. The battery on my Tdi Vento ( MK golf with boot) died recently.
After fitting the new one , i thought I'd check the acid level. There wasn't one-hence dead bettery ! I've since checked the TDi Passat , and luckerly all was well.
The maintanable battery is still being fitted !

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RachaPassat said:
Hey Altair 4...I had to chuckle a little when I read to check your battery water level. Not that those types of batteries don't exist anymore, but I've owned VW's since the 70's and recall only owning a couple of those types of batteries.

I still have my '72 Beetle waiting for the warmer weather....

I just wasn't sure the next thing mentioned was to clean the 8-track or cassette heads in the radio H.U.... :lol:.
You got an 8 track in your car? Woo Hoo...all I got is an AM radio. J/K!

Well, if my note helps a few people, all to the good! I know a few people here had starting problems attributable to low water in their batteries, so I guess some are being fitting, like the Great Roberto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Altair 4
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing