Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh brother, here we go. I just bought an 02 Variant and it's got the Monsoon tape deck system up front and a 6-disc changer in back. The head unit has changer controls, but I would like to have a CD slot in the dash so I am not constantly having to pull over & reload the changer (my taste in music changes about every day).

The question here is this: Did VW have a Monsoon unit with a single CD slot AND changer controls for the unit in the rear?

What should I be searching for on Ebay? What are some key words? I also heard that the wiring harness changed between 02 and 03, so are there any other warnings I should be looking out for?

Hook a total noob up, couldja? :wink:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
pm Paul, Quality_Sound, he can help you with all your questions.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
VW did have a single DIN cassette HU and in dash 6 cd changer. There is a GB for the changer and then all you have to do is find the HU itself. I'd scrap the whole schmooze and do an aftermarket HU with a cd slot and changer controls. Here's what I'D do, Kenwood indash cd player with changer controls. Then add a 10 disch changer AND the Music Keg. 8) Total cool baby.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trunk changer is cool, but I think the "start with a whole new head unit" option may be what I end up doing. I have about 500+ CD's and I usually just grab about 2 or 3 on the way out the door in the morning or whatever, but I really don't feel like having to reload the cartridge every day. :thumbdow: I'll just see what I can dig up for a single in-dash player and then wire it up to the existing changer out back for long road trips. Like when I drive down to APR this Friday. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quality_sound said:
No aftermarket HU will control your OEM changer. With that many cds I'd leave the OEM HU and add the PhatNoise or if yougo aftermarket, do a Kenwood with the Music Keg.

I think this is a Panasonic changer that was installed after the fact, so I am hopeful that another HU will handle it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quality_sound said:
VW did have a single DIN cassette HU and in dash 6 cd changer. There is a GB for the changer and then all you have to do is find the HU itself. I'd scrap the whole schmooze and do an aftermarket HU with a cd slot and changer controls. Here's what I'D do, Kenwood indash cd player with changer controls. Then add a 10 disch changer AND the Music Keg. 8) Total cool baby.

HAH! Problem solved. I went to the dealer to flip through some books at the parts counter and see what stereos were available stock. The parts guy didn't understand what I was trying to do.... so he told me that it was impossible. He actually told me that the only way a CD player was available in the 2002 Passat was with the Cassette Monsoon HU in the dash and the 6-disc changer in the trunk. :crazy:

So, I kinda walked away and into the showroom, where I remembered that I had a buddy who worked there as a salesman. I stopped in & shot the sh|t for a second and described what I was trying to do.... he told me he could hook me up righ then & there. So, he got the stereo removal keys, went out to the Certified Pre-Owned lot and "acquired" the single disc player out of a 2003 car. Unhooked it from the HU and somehow it ended up in my dash. My in-dash "storage slot" somehow ended up out on the Certified Pre-Owned lot. :wink:

All this at lunch hour.... hahahah

Thanks for everyone's help, though. :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quality_sound said:
^^^^^That's wrong..........

Paul :thumbdow:
I know. Now, of course, Karma's a big ol' bitch. Driving home last night, I noticed that now the face of the unit won't lite up with the headlights on and the steering wheel controls don't work any more. Guess I have to pull it back out & figure out what didn't get plugged in.

I was really not looking for that deal that i got yesterday. But that is between him & his boss. I am only a recipient.

The Cert-Pre-Owned car still has the rest of the Monsoon system still there. Now the window sticker just needs a little modifcation. :suspicio:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.