Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to paint my lowers this weekend, got them off, used the special degreaser soap for auto painting, skuffed them up preatty well. but then after they dried with some primer on them, it just flaked off. Can any one reccomend what type of primer to use?

I used a spray gun and all, my buddy paints cars at dealorships when they need to be touched up.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What type did you use? Was it a bonding primer? I had someone look at my lowers and they said you have to do more than scuff them up. He said that the bumps need to be sanded down as much as possible to make the surface smooth. You would think the bumps might somehow help adhesion but that is not the case.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You need flexible primer,
I painted all the molding on my A2 myself with this stuff as primer , and this is after years and years of armor all, etc. I had no problems with chipping for 4 years, until I sold the car.
I bought it from D'angelos auto paint supply in San Luis Obispo , CA. 805 546 0494

Give them a call, they're great. I used their rattle can flex primer, and had them match up my car color and put that in rattle cans too. You would never be able to tell it was rattle can with the tips they sell. But now that I have a gun, you wont see me doing that anymore :wink:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also, I would try scotchbrite pads and straight rubbing alcohol before sandpaper. Just to give it a shot before carving into that molding.... all you really want to do is dry it out really well. Cant hurt to try that first...
Once you get that flex primer to stick, you'll be good to go.
I have good friends who own a well known paintshop in the bay area. They wouldnt touch it, said it wouldnt stick right, "it would just chip off"
Bullsh*t. I love doing something that "cant be done" and then 4 years later Im cleaning the black scuffs off my painted molding with lacquer thinner and its looking great :lol:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
MattinPismo said:
I bought it from D'angelos auto paint supply in San Luis Obispo , CA. 805 546 0494

I dream of the Central Coast every day. How's the weather? Used to live in Morro Bay and Los Osos for two years.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The weather is cold.....haha 54 degrees, thats cold for us! haha!! During the day it is nice though. Matt, whats your car look like? Would I recognize it?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey whats up!
You maybe would have recognized my white A2 I just sold, on the cover of performance-cafe website (volks cafe)
I just got my passat 2 weeks ago, But I took my German plate off and strapped it to the passat (1st mod!) so keep your eye open for a silver B5 GLX with a german plate reading volks cafe on the front ! Im always in Pismo as I live in Shell beach and work on price st.
Once I get some more mods together we should find out who else around here is in the club and sched. something.
Hey B5V6, get your ass back here, I'll bet its eactly the same as you left it, you know how these small towns are :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There are 5 of us B5's and B5.5's floating around SLO county, you make it 6. Haha, we are starting to unite!! hahaha....we should form a gang. WSB5. Haha....not enough sleep.

Branden

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
that's cool, my :b5: has been reading tempatures in the high 30's during the day. Last night it snowed, which is almost unheard of in Jackson'hell, NC

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
MattinPismo said:
You need flexible primer,
I painted all the molding on my A2 myself with this stuff as primer , and this is after years and years of armor all, etc. I had no problems with chipping for 4 years, until I sold the car.

Give them a call, they're great. I used their rattle can flex primer, and had them match up my car color and put that in rattle cans too. You would never be able to tell it was rattle can with the tips they sell. But now that I have a gun, you wont see me doing that anymore :wink:
I'm getting a votex front spoiler, would this be great to use for it? How much does it go for, and what would be an estimated amount needed?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oooooh, man I cant wait to get my body kit from votex.
Depending on how much experience you have painting, you could definately do it this way to save your pocket book.

for the front splitter, I would say you would need at least 6 cans of the flex primer.Also since your out of state, may as well have a couple more sent since reordering would take a while. The rattle can paint they mix is single stage with the clear added (like macco uses) they would need the paint code off your car.

I personally would only use a professional spray gun. My A2 was a fun project and came out great...... my B5 is too nice for me too make a mistake... I am probably going to take mine to a professional to get everything installed and painted let them have the headache

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'll just wait until I can have a shop paint it. I'm pretty good with a spray can, not leaving any runs, and patient. I'd like a quality job though. Isn't the votex spoiler the same as the lowers, or similiar material? I don't want them giving me a messed up job that will chip easily.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think Votex is polyeurethane. So you shouldn't have chipping with that.

And I think your right, painting an 8 yr. old car like I did isn't as scary, And if they jack up their paint job putting it on or at any other step its their problem to fix.
However, if the dudes want a thousand bucks to paint and install......I may have to give it a shot myself first :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
MattinPismo
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing