Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I was just brainstorming and wondering if anyone has ever been able to get their citylights on their HID look projector headlamps (B5) to work as the DRL, meaning they go on with the car running and the E-brake off. I've heard of members pulling 173 and running their cars with euroswitch turned once and pulled once, meaning parking lights, and citylights/fogs, depending on your situation. I can see the benefit of disabling the DRL, as far as not running your low beam all the time. But I was wondering if anyone has been able to reroute wires to have the citylights come on automatically when the cars running, while leaving the euroswitch off. I think it would be a neat feature, plus you wouldn't have to have your parking or taillights on all day. And the W5W is cheap to replace. Any thoughts? Joe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, there is likely a law that drls have to have a certain threshold wattage and city lights are likely not bright enough. In any case, you might want to check out Bonthron's post (Audi style drls):

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38416

Drls are intended to make you more visible to approaching traffic. As a long time biker, I WANT drivers to see me coming and I want the same driver to see my Passat wagon just as easily.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
frettin_phil said:
Well, there is likely a law that drls have to have a certain threshold wattage and city lights are likely not bright enough. In any case, you might want to check out Bonthron's post (Audi style drls):

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38416

Drls are intended to make you more visible to approaching traffic. As a long time biker, I WANT drivers to see me coming and I want the same driver to see my Passat wagon just as easily.
The law is only applicable in Canada, there are currently no laws in the US requiring DRL's that I know of. I run my citylights at dusk, and click on my lights after it gets completely dark.

·
Registered
89 Posts
VWPPassatGLX155 is quite correct, :) I simply forgot to state up front that DRL regulations are only applicable in Canada. I do not know if there are European regulations as well.
Slightly off topic, but I do wish that NorAm Passats were equipped with Euro standard parking light operation (rightside or leftside selectable) for overnight parking street parking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts