Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
2,361 - 2,380 of 3,958 Posts
by the way, to search this site better, you can type in the search of google like this "site:passatworld.com" then put a space then type what you are searching for, that will make all the google search narrow down to this nice place. ;)

2002 VW Passat GLS

189k bought on OfferUp and was hoping to have found a nice airport car since it will spend a majority of the time there.

Now the bad part. Paid a bit more than KBB because it looked like it was in really nice shape but since buying it and driving only 35 miles I may have found out I was suckered.....

Revealed by the seller
1. No heat from air system (suspect bad heater core or hopefully just a good flushing)
2. FOB does not work (can live without it but hoping I can find inexpensive option)

Not revealed by seller
1. Alignment poor (not a worry usually have lifetime alignment on all cars so I know the cost)
2. Wiper fluid doesn't spray on drivers side :(
3. Only 3 car speakers work (can live without it but hoping I can find inexpensive option)

BUT the big one
1. Oil leak that showed up on only my 2nd drive after buying it, literally 35 miles later. Having troubles locating the actual leak and where it is coming from but not very excited about this turnabout.

Bottom line I don't mind doing some of my own work to save money but right now just hoping that it's not a 'decent' looking junker!!

B5 are very well known for there oil leaks, as well as there water leaks. for the oil I would just go ahead and check all your gaskets. Also go ahead and pull out your battery and check the drain plug under the battery tray and check the pollen filter gasket as well those are 2 very know places for water leaks into the car.

Welcome!!

Revealed by the seller
1. No heat from air system (suspect bad heater core or hopefully just a good flushing)
2. FOB does not work (can live without it but hoping I can find inexpensive option)
1. Unless the previous owner bypassed it, a clogged heater core seems to be a problem. Several members have had success flushing it with CLR cleaner. But be careful with it, you can cause it to leak, and replacing it is not a fun task

2. Bad battery? It may need to be paired again.

1. Alignment poor (not a worry usually have lifetime alignment on all cars so I know the cost)
2. Wiper fluid doesn't spray on drivers side :(
3. Only 3 car speakers work (can live without it but hoping I can find inexpensive option)
1. Inspect the control arms and tie rod ends, before spending money on an alignment. FCP Euro has a decent, cheap set.
2. Clogged nozzle?
3. Junk yard, classifieds, eBay.....

1. Oil leak that showed up on only my 2nd drive after buying it, literally 35 miles later. Having troubles locating the actual leak and where it is coming from but not very excited about this turnabout.
1. It may not be a major issue. Several locations where it could leak from, some difficult to address, some not. Keeping the engine bay clean helps identify leaks, and impress friends and neighbors!

Just got my first passat have been around vw s my whole life and im 50 so its alot my dad is a retired vw and porsche master tech. When i was 10 he made me take my first bug engine apart with his help been hooked on vw and porsche every since. Back to my passat its a 2001 and know joke it looks almost new has 200000 miles and runs like a clock! My dad checked compression and couldnt beleive all cylinders within 3 percent. Dam them germans for making a great car.

I will be putting pics of my passat on did a few things the rear deck was sun faded so i recover it myself. Only down fall of this car is the door inserts come un glued so i have recovered one of those like i said i will put pics up of it.

2,361 - 2,380 of 3,958 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.