Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 3674 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2003 Passat 1.8T auto trans, 160K miles. After very heavy acceleration up to 50, 60 MPH or whatever, speed doesn't seem to matter but it must be heavy on the gas then let off gas and I will get one very large clunk from font end. First time it happened I thought oh man I just ran sometime over, but look in the mirror and road is clear. Now that it has happened a few times I know I didn't hit anything but each time I have noticed it was right after acceleration never during acceleration. I suppose you might say this has been answered but I have searched and have seen plenty of clunk discussions but I haven't seen anyone posting an issue quite like this as others seem to say it happens on both accel and decel. Mine is only decel and only right after heavy accel and it will be one very large clunk and then everything is normal after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I : a) read and comprehend the valuable info I've written here; b) I posted in this thread that you have read what I've written here; and, c) I used the google search tool - you'll get faster answers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now that is some much needed info. I hope its just as was to locate the info I am I search of, just as was as it was to this info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi David here, I just bought a 2003 Passat GLS 1.8 wagon. I've been driving a VW bus for 35 straight years, including a '67 the entire time. I've been driving (along w/ my splittie Blue) my '70 bay window for 18 years.

Blue had an intermediate engine fire about a month ago that will take it off the road for the next 6 months or so while I rehabilitate it.

So with just my '70 bus (Int'l Red) as my daily driver - and the fact I have to replace the clutch soon - I scored my first watercooled vehicle since I had my '75 bright green Rabbit in 1980 and '81.

So, just saying hi and introducing my self a bit. Thanks, DB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi again, the site stipulates that you have to post 2 new messages in order to access thie entire site, so here's # 2 (if a reply to my own post counts???)

I think I have already found the info for which I was searching; what is the reservoir w/ the green cap w/ (what looks like) a steering wheel icon and a fluid drop, about 8 inches back (towards the windshield) from the drivers side headlight?

From what I've read here it's the power steering fluid reservoir and I should add ONLY VW dealership steering fluid - anyone able to confirm that definitively?

Thanks much, and have a splendid and safe New Year! DB

2141 - 2160 of 3674 Posts