Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all

sorry, I'm sure this has been answered 1000's of times - If I'm looking to replace the existing speakers (front+ rear) with new ones - I think I'll be looking for the same 2 way conponent type thats in now..... what size for B5.5?

10inch?

and, while we on the subject..Can someone explain how compoent speakers work? As in - are the components wired together? seperately? Whats the purpose of a crossover.......?

thanks

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
for the front and rear doors, the components are 6.5" and about 1.5".

I can answer your other question, but no time at the moment - I'll put something up later this morning.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just remember- YOUR ear should be the deciding factor in which speaker you buy, not what other people have to say about a given speaker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V-Dub Duluth said:
Just remember- YOUR ear should be the deciding factor in which speaker you buy, not what other people have to say about a given speaker.
and my wallet ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry to keep this thread going - but whats the max depth on the doors ?

The alpines above need 63mm - or 2.48 inches, is it safe?

thanks again

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You are going to need spacers for the front doors. I don't remember how thick most people have gone I believe at least 1.25". For the rear doors you should be fine since the window doesn't come all the way down.

thad.

·
27,900 Posts
^2. get the ones crutchfield has - these worked fine for me with my Boston Acoustics, and I assume the Alpines are similar.
there is plenty of room between the door panels and the doors for the spacers.

·
27,900 Posts
now, abouot crossovers - what crossovers do is "port" the frequencies in the music you play to the speakers that are best able to reproduce those frequencies. the smaller the speaker, the higher the frequencies are that the speaker is betteer able to reproduce; therefore, you want to port higher frequencies to the smaller speakers (tweeters), and port the lower frequencies to the mids/midbasses. the lowest frequencies are the domain of the sub.

the other part about the crossovers is, if properly designed, they protect your speakers. the power handlinng capabilities of the crossover components should be selected in such a way so that they can handle the power that the speakers are capable of handling. if too much power is put to a crossover, a component on the crossover should blow before a speaker - altho that is not always the case...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's great JTS, thanks for the explanationm makes perfect sense.

and now for my next question : I understand the stock crossovers are built into the head unit (I think I read that)....where do you put the new crossovers when installing?

Iwas looking at this : http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201415&highlight=speakers
but it's not clear where the crossovers are...

·
27,900 Posts
depends on the system. on a monsoon, the crossovers are built into the monsoon amplifier. on a non-monsoon, the crossovers are much more simplistic - they only consist of capacitors on the tweeters.

when you install a new set of speakers that come with crossovers, the crossovers can go in a lot of different places. some people put them behind the door panels. I put mine on the underside of the rear deck (accessible from the trunk).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts