Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I'm new here...kinda filtered in from VWVortex. I'm currently a '91 8V GTI owner, but am looking at a potential purchase in the form of a 2000 Passat, 1.8T with the manual transmission...~40K KMS on it, no rust, no winters, asking 15K$, Canadian. Now...coming from the GTI, I'm looking for something a little more refined, and I love the fact that pretty near no one knows what a Passat is.

My specific questions are as follows;

Any advice on areas to really scope out good during the inspection? Chronic Passat things to really watch for?

The more basic model, is that a GLS or GLX??

The engine on these is longitudinal right? I hear they cause less torque steer, but will produce less power then the latitudinal ones. Is that true? If so, how much difference? How far can I go HP-wise on the engine before a differential is required? 200 WHP or so for FWD cars, right? Where are the key places that make the engine parts for the P.'s 1.8T...ABD seems to only have Golf/Jetta bits.

The B5 P. is based on the Audi A4. How compatible are parts? I'm used to being able to the GTI, where if something breaks, I can upgrade to 16V GTI...are the A4 parts even better?

I also know this car is hefty compared to the GTI, but what kind of suspension mods are good for the P... I know a swaybar for sure, upper front stress bar, springs and shocks...any other things I'm overlooking? I drive about 1/2 highway, 1/2 'backroads'...y'know the bumpy twisty, elevation changing, fun to drive ones. I need a kit that will not rattle my teeth...any suggestions? I have Koni's and H+R sport springs on the GTI and they are tight, but I wouldn't wanna go any tighter at all.

Shortshift kits...who makes the tightest one, the one with the most reduction?

My goal is 250 WHP...can I do it without breaking the bank? I'd like to make this a street car, one that will never be tracked. i'm more concerned about less lag, and more torque than a dyno/HP beast. I also am in Canada, so parts cost me 50% than you stateside folks...:(

Thanks to all for your help in advance!!! I appreciate it very much.
-Matt.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
First of all Welcome :thumbup:

I am owner of V6 but nevertheless will try to give you some answers.
Regarding inspection- best bet is to find someone near you with Vag-Com, this is for checking all vital parameters of car, aside mechanics.
From metal- tie rods,control arms.They are weak points.
Coil packs (sitting on top of spark plugs) were reason for multiple recalls.
check turbo (you do not want to finish with 2000 repair bill) altough it can be perfect reason for installing K04 kit or even better T28 ( www.pes-tuning.com )
Check service record.
Other 1.8T-guys will chime in more.
Your '00. is 150 BHP latter models are 170 BHP. Simple chipping with no other mods can give you extra 30-45 HP depends on chip. Best bet for your idea is to go immediately on big turbo kit.
good one in Canada is www.rpiequipped.com ; others are www.neuspeed.com ; www.ecstuning.com ; www.evoms.com ; www.libertvw.com (best for GBs); there are also others but for now is o.k.
Audi A4 B5 and Passat B5 and B5.5 are same engines&suspension, you can swap a lot of things among them.
GLX is top model
Konis& Bilsteins are most popular here aside coilovers. From springs H&R OE,H&R sport,Eibach,Neuspeed Softsport&Sport,
For the rest wait others to wake up.

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome...friendly place here.

I'm in NB....waaaay out east.

Is the 150HP and 170HP basically the same minus the variable valve stuff on later models? Tuneability is roughly the same though, eh? The downpipe is quite restrictive on these Long.'al engines too, right?
-Matt.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You are right, + a bit of tweaking of soft- and you get +20 hp on exit with newer models. as far as I understood not that much downpipe as much small turbo. And he is small to cut as much as possible boost treshold (often mixed and called lag).
If you are serious in changing in future turbo, maybe you should consider "new kid in the block"- turbo with variable vanes (30-50% faster reaction than "classic") from inventors and producers www.aerocharger.com
Their site is very poor, but you can get info from their dealers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.