Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 V6. ATQ. 190,000 km

So, timing belt was due for a change, so that and all associated parts (wp, thermo, idlers, tensioners, serp belt tensioner) were also changed out. Previous to the change out I had a loud "dieseling" noise coming from the engine. It was difficult to pin-point the exact location of the noise even with a stethoscope.

I thought I was also going to need to change out CCA on both sides. But was going to save that job for next year.

When assessing the existing tb (second one at 98,000 km) I was able to twist it 90* at it's longest run while it was still on the engine. TDC.

Now, after the change this noise has vanished.
all replaced rollers spun freely.

Wondering if the hydraulic tb tensioner was not maintaining proper tension on the belt ? If so, what would this sound like?

Car runs well, no codes.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,542 Posts
I agree with the others. Many (most?) timing belt failures have been caused by faulty water pumps or tension idlers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the others. Many (most?) timing belt failures have been caused by faulty water pumps or tension idlers.
I'll check the old tension idler to see if it was original or not. There were only 90,000 km (55,000 miles) on this belt & wp (metal impeller) and both looked in great shape. That noise was just driving me crazy !

If original, would it be branded vw/audi ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts