Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some of you may have seen my other thread, im looking to buy this 98 B5 I saw.

I havent had a chance to pop the hood yet (going for a test drive and inspection tommorow I think), but it occured to me that it doesnt specify that it is a turbo on the window sheet. I just assumed it was a turbo because I thought all B5 1.8's came turbo. Now I read that in fact some non turbo's came out? Does anyone know if non turbos came out in Australia?

If infact this is a non turbo, how much does the engine differ, and is it possible to put on an after market turbo with little trouble amd future problems for the engine? Anyone done this convesion? How much did it cost?

Thanks in advance once again :D. Hopefully it is a turbo and they just didnt specify it :D.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im worried it will be a non turbo and thats gonna suck :( To be honest what first attracted me to the Passat was that it was a Turbo (that and the fact it is something different and not seen around here I could use for a project car). I then fell in love with it so too speak for other reasons and now if its not a turbo I think Ill be crushed unless there is still hope...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey, I've got a 1.8 non-turbo wagon / variant & i'm happy with it ! 0-62 in about 10.8 and i've had 130 mph top end......... plenty fast enough for me & i save arround £100 in insurance costs each year over the turbo model 8)
All i'm saying is don't say no untill you've had a test drive, as i wanted a turbo at first untill i took mine for a test drive & i was suprised with the performance of it as it is a big heavy car ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? Hmm.. yeah its a large car and I was expecting the 1.8 non turb to be sluggish off the start.

Id still like to be able to put in a turb down the line if its not too much trouble.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i love the turbo on my 1.8t, but i'd say to try it out first. i think the engine alone only puts out 125HP, but it depends on your taste.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
i love the turbo on my 1.8t, but i'd say to try it out first. i think the engine alone only puts out 125HP, but it depends on your taste.
I drove my car without the turbo for 4 days ( turbo was busted) it sucked my Civic was faster than that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I drove my car without the turbo for 4 days ( turbo was busted) it sucked my Civic was faster than that.
Yes, but a turbo engine running without a turbo will give a lot less power than a same sized engine engineered to run without a turbo as the fuel to air ratio , ECU settings, compression etc will all be set up wrong .

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Yes, but a turbo engine running without a turbo will give a lot less power than a same sized engine engineered to run without a turbo as the fuel to air ratio , ECU settings, compression etc will all be set up wrong .
We had a debate about that and we figured out that the engine will correct all the curves to work without the turbo.
the debate was about not having a CEL for turbo failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts