Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other post started going in this direction, so started a new thread in case.
I got this engine, my mechanic thinks its good, i am worried cause many people said it looked so horrible, and it has the low pressure thing happening. No i didnt install the pressure gauge yet, but would if i continue to work with it. I am wondering before i send this back to the junkyard that warrantees it, should i auto RX, do the thorough clean procedure, then change the pickup, and test my pressure and things may actually go fine after? I wondering if damage could be inside that would take changing parts and throwing more money at the problem. I looked at 2 cams and they didnt look worn. If it is useable, i won't have to waste money removing and installing a replacement.

Has anyone here seen engines that were unfortunate to do the 40k on dino then unknowingly switched to synthetic without cleaning it first and then had the problems? Did it possibly look like this?

more photos here
Oil Starvation Evidence Photos by spottedbat2 | Photobucket

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,401 Posts
Synthetic oil is 100% compatable with Dino oil. No cleaning is required to switch.
I second that. I ran on dino oil for the first 45K miles and then switched to synthetic ever since. I didn't clean anything. Just drained the old dino and poured in syn. No problem at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like my engine was abused and the junkyard gave me my money back and i am trying to work with this engine, see if it worth fixing. still investigating. It has some coke deposits, probably didnt have oil changes often enough. Hopefully i caught it early. if you havent yet, see other thread- "should i bother, 2003 1.8T..."
Emry, did you change your dino every 3K or what?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts