Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this happened to anyone here before?looks asthough its been eaten away with acid or something.blowing alot of air out just waiting for it to throw up a cel.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes - those valves turn white then flake away when they get old. Seem to cause vacuum leaks that affect the engine performance. There are several of them in the engine and all need replacement over time. The one in your pic has 3 hose connectors - 1 on the left side and 2 on the right side of your pic. You can see the 3rd hose at the back of the left side.

Don't wait - get it changed. I also changed 2 others. I believe the others all have only have 2 hose connections - 1 on each side of the valve. So make sure to get the right valves for each replacement (i.e. 2 different valves: 3-hose & 2-hose).

These are the part nos. for my car (2000 1.8T Passat with APU engine code):

058 905 291 (2 hose);
07C 133 529A (3 hose) replaces 058 905 291D

The engine ran much better after I changed the valves. Look for a 2 hose valve behind and below the 1 in your pic. Also, look on top of the air cleaner box at the rear and you should see another 2 hose valve. Careful when changing the valves that you don't break the hoses. They tend to get a little brittle from the heat.

The most difficult part is removing the small vw standard hose clamps. just cut them off by using "cutter pliers" to pich off the fastener of the clamp. Install new regular hose clamps of the right size.

Good luck with the job. Let us know how the car feels after.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts