Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi!

I just bought a passat -08, that soon hits the 150 000 km mark, so there will be some things done on it, timing belt, checking the particulate filter and so on.

But I've noticed a little drumming sound sometimes when I drive at low rpm:s in gear 1, so I uploaded a clip of the sound... see the video.
Any suggestions to what it could be?

It would be nice to have a clue to the sound before I take the car to the mecanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I'm still trying to figure this out. Here is some new information. It starts with a clunking sound when the clutch is pressed, which turns into a drumming sound when releasing. This doesn't just happen in
first gear as I thought first. I just didn't hear the drumming when in higher gears. Also the sound comes and goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you cchief22 for the suggestion. I've come to the conclusion that there is a problem with the dual mass flywheel =(. It's a shame I didn't know about this problem before I bought the it. Anyway I will have to change the flywheel, and I have heard some suggestions that I should change the clutch at the same time. And some advice me to convert to a traditional flywheel, so I won't have this problem again.

Anyway. Some say that the flywheel in some instances if it explodes can hurt the transmission also. What is the probability of that happening? I guess it's a spring that's loose in the flywheel, and the freeplay might be bigger than what it should. I wonder if it's safe to drive until I can have it fixed. It seems to be going fine a long as I'm careful when changing gears not going into low rpm:s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeh definitely dual mass flywheel. Obviously there is a slight chance that it could fly to bits if you drive it but probably not. Just get it changed ASAP. I personally wouldn’t bother with the solid flywheel conversion. It makes the drive quite juddery and a new dual mass should see the car out anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up this one. I got the flywheel changed and have a smooth ride now. The freeplay in the flywheel was too big. At the same time they also changed the clutch, as it was a complete set from LuK, with flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.