Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the DIY MAF cleaning with alcohol, and ever since, the EVAP purge valve near the air box emits (intermittently) a loud clicking noise, similar to the sound of an air compressor. I did a search and found that this is not uncommon, but is it normal? Does this mean I should be troubleshooting something? I have a 2000 1.8T ATW, BTW.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uuuhh.. just got Emissions Workshop P0441. I guess when something starts happening on my car that I've had for nine years that hasn't happened before, I'll go with my gut. Thanks anyway.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,882 Posts
441 = incorrect purge flow.
check the lines that lead the purge valve to the engine vacuum. incorrect flow means stuff is going the wrong way, not necessarily a malfunction of the part.

but yea, as zmanico says. normal operation. you're just not in front of you car that much (if ever) while your car has gotten to the point where it thinks it needed to modulate the valve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrong way? Is there something I should troubleshoot? Sorry if I sounded ornery in my last post... I was midway through replacing all my PCV system, and I was getting tired and frustrated. Next time, the manifold is coming off for that job.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,882 Posts
Wrong way? Is there something I should troubleshoot? Sorry if I sounded ornery in my last post... I was midway through replacing all my PCV system, and I was getting tired and frustrated. Next time, the manifold is coming off for that job.
well, you could start there, with the pcv job. the purge valve system links up to the vacuum/pcv system to burn off the gas vapors that the gas tank contains. that's just one way i see that it could get the problem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.