Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Passat 2.0ltr engine. Regularly serviced. Over the last month or so I have noticed that when I start the car in the morning, it sounds briefly like a diesel engine. Only for about five seconds.

I do have a problem with the vacuum pipes (leak). I have received the part today but was just wondering if there could be something more seriously wrong.

On another forum someone mentioned the secondary pump??? under the air filter???

The cambelt etc was changed about six months ago and the car has done 75K miles.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not familiar with your engine but my 2.8 ltr is briefly noisy at startup because of the cam chain tensioner (under the valve covers) which is hydraulicly operated. It takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up and take slack out of the cam chains.

Both of my Passats do this. It is more noticable when it's cold out. My '99 has been doing this almost since new and it now has 212k miles on the clock, so I guess I view this more as an annoyance than a serious problem.

-Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.