Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn on the A/C (GLX/Climatronic) I've noticed that fan in the engine bay is pretty noisy. It's only noticable when the car is in nuetral or sitting stopped at a light. When I either go into Econo mode, or just accelerate, that loud noise and rumble is gone.

What should I specifically be looking at here? This isn't normal is it? :wrench:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Maybe someone with more experience diagnosing this kind of thing will weigh in. I noticed that at the end of the "AC On" video you are zooming in on the radiator fan, not the AC fan (which is to the left of the radiator fan). Was this intentional?

Have you done a visual inspection of the AC fan? blades all intact and spins freely by hand?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
It actually doesn't sound unusual to me. The fan has two speeds; on a warm day with no natural air movement (car stopped) AND the AC on, it may well be simply in fast mode. On my 1.8T the fan is very noticeable on high; during the hot weather last week it was cycling in and out of that speed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Visually, nothing seems out of order. In fact, the noise isn't as bad when the car is in park, but there's no way for me to take video/audio w/o me standing there. ;) Zooming in on the rad fan wasn't intentional.

The electric fan seems to be perfectly fine, and no felt issues with the rad fan either. The vibration just has me on edge, and like I said... it only happens in nuetral, or reverse with the A/C on (auto mode), and goes away when the accelerator is pressed. Very odd.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
The fans wear out it's a pretty simple repair.
Does not sound too bad really, mine sounds like a damn turbine when on high speed.
But, I think I hear the Aux belt tensioner pully rattling around in there.
Check it out, just remove the Serpentine belt and give it a spin by hand. I bet it rattles.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fans wear out it's a pretty simple repair.
Does not sound too bad really, mine sounds like a damn turbine when on high speed.
But, I think I hear the Aux belt tensioner pully rattling around in there.
Check it out, just remove the Serpentine belt and give it a spin by hand. I bet it rattles.
Thanks, that gives me something to investigate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.