Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here is the deal, i just bought a used 2000 vw passat, 1.8 turbo tiptronic trans,atw engine. i drove it 850 miles from where i bought it, to my house. no problems driving, ran great. One of the first things i do is go out and get an air filter, after i changed that, happens almost every time i start the car, i get a whisling sound, it sounds like something turning, trying to turn on, after about 2 min of the sound going up and down like something is trying to kick on, it stops, and you can hear whatever is making the noise slowly go away and then cut off. as this all happens, the engine is running fine, rpm's ok. I am thinking it might be the turbo trying to kick on but dont know why it would do that at start up. Also i dont think it did it before i changed the air filter, but i changed the air filter only after driving the veh twice, so it could have been an existing problem, and i just think it is something i did when changing the filter.

any help would be nice.

going to be undertaking DIY trans filter and fluid change, and oil filter and fluid. going to be very interesting as every vehicle i have ever owned has been high enough off the ground i have never had to jack up any of my vehicles to change anything underneath.

also there are O vehicle records that came with this car, i dont know if anything was ever done or not, that is my reasoning for wanting to do everything.

i am debating wether to go with 5w-30 pentosin, or using another leading synthetic.

·
Registered
800 Posts
could be the SAIP pump which runs for a minute at start, probably not turbo because it doesnt kick in at low rpm and its always spinning, it would be hear when driving too.

use 5w40, vw502.00 certified and synthetic full,

check the vw offical oil list which includes over a hundred different oils you can use in the engine.

gotta say vw502.00 on the back for sure

2,551 Posts
also there are O vehicle records that came with this car, i dont know if anything was ever done or not, that is my reasoning for wanting to do everything.
You are a brave soul. Drop the oil pan/crack open top half of engine and look for sludge. That would be my #1 concern.

Run a vag com scan as well to see if there are any stored errors.

Change the 4 major vacuum lines, diverter valve, L hose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts