Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've owned my '12 B7 3.6 SE for a couple years and have replaced almost every bulb with high quality replacements from deAutoKey.

The conversion has been a long and quite expensive one, however the outcome is nothing short of head-turning.

My very last struggle seems to be the most vexing. The high beam bulb adapters that VW uses seem to be totally proprietary and I've had zero luck in finding any compatible adapter that will allow me to replace the pitiful H7 halogen bulbs.

Here are a few photos of the high beam adapter opening and the connector itself:

IMG_1627.jpg IMG_1629.jpg

Anyone have any luck locating an adapter? Anyone do a DIY instead?

I'd hate to spend another $1000 replacing the housings altogether just to get away from the last halogen bulb...any help is appreciated.

(Ideally, deAutoKey / deAutoLED would solve my problem by creating and selling their own, error-free kit with their awesome lifetime warranty!:p)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't use LED's in your headlights. They're not as bright as halogens or HID's, whatever you may think. And absolutely the worst bulb for highs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Must be a subjective thing. I’ve documented every step of my LED conversion and definitely prefer the LED over any and all halogen bulbs. I hear what you are saying about poorly designed bulbs in reflector housings causing horrible scatter and blinding other drivers. So far, I’ve actually improved brightness by an order of magnitude without making any compromises in beam pattern. When I say that I intend to convert the high beams, I will find a solution that offers much better performance while maintaining the beam pattern. It is far more difficult to do this right, which why I assume you are calling out the downsides of inexperienced folks trying to "upgrade to LED". I appreciate your input, but I haven’t invested this much time and effort to end up with some sloppy end result and definitely won’t be holding onto any bulb that doesn’t outstrip stock in every measure while sacrificing nothing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good luck on your journey. I've tried every type of bulb in every style housing and HID's in my projector housings seem the best. Although my work truck has LED's with regular reflectors, but that was a fluke. It just seems like with all the LED copies available, that they aren't really designed to use a car's headlights properly. You have an element that can only shoot ~180° pattern vs 360° of traditional lights. Now new car headlights I need to look into, because some of them are pretty damn bright.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

I've owned my '12 B7 3.6 SE for a couple years and have replaced almost every bulb with high quality replacements from deAutoKey.

The conversion has been a long and quite expensive one, however the outcome is nothing short of head-turning.

My very last struggle seems to be the most vexing. The high beam bulb adapters that VW uses seem to be totally proprietary and I've had zero luck in finding any compatible adapter that will allow me to replace the pitiful H7 halogen bulbs.

Here are a few photos of the high beam adapter opening and the connector itself:

View attachment 85986 View attachment 85994

Anyone have any luck locating an adapter? Anyone do a DIY instead?

I'd hate to spend another $1000 replacing the housings altogether just to get away from the last halogen bulb...any help is appreciated.

(Ideally, deAutoKey / deAutoLED would solve my problem by creating and selling their own, error-free kit with their awesome lifetime warranty!:p)
Hey man did you ever solve your problem? I'm trying to do the exact same thing. Let me know! Please!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts