Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Passat 1.8t FWD
First off, starter is functional and getting power, battery is sufficient (tried boosting as well), bump start won't turn the engine over.

Back in December, one of the drive axles disconnected when I was accelerating from a stop. The engine was running fine, but I couldn't get any power to the wheels. The axle had disconnected from the transmission flange, swung around and took out the transmission mount. Transmission itself is fine though. I got it towed back to my house, and it sat for a bit while I was on vacation and getting the parts together. I had to buy a bunch of special tools just to get this job done (when will I ever use triple square again? haha), I'm really hoping I can bring this car back to life. Anyways, I bought a CV boot repair kit to fix the axle, bought new bolts for each transmission flange, and put it all back together.

When I tried to start it, I hear the click of the starter solenoid and the battery voltage drops, but there's no crank. I tried a different battery, boosting it with a portable booster and boosting it with a running car, but nothing. I tried to push start it, but the car comes to a stop. I tried slowly towing it while the car was in first, but the front tires just drag. It seems to me like the engine is seized, but I don't know what could have caused it. The coolant is fresh, it's due for an oil change, but not overdue in any respect.

What do you think my next step is? Should I take out the plugs and add a bit of oil to the cylinder to hopefully loosen them up and try to hand crank it?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the problem happened in the opposite time line. Your engine or trans seized and it blew the axle apart.
Pull the upper timing belt cover and see if the belt is intact. Then pull the valve cover and check for damage.
Raise the front off the ground on stands, and see if you can turn one wheel by hand. The other wheel should spin in the opposite direction. If they don't, the problem is in the trans/diff. If they move, it could still be a trans issue, but you would have to pull the trans/flywheel to confirm.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My money is on a seized bottom-end in the engine block.

You said you attempted to push start and the wheels just come to a stop, so when the clutch is disengaged, the front wheels roll okay. When you release the clutch and engage the engine is when the wheels come to a stop. Coupled with the no-crank status, indicates the engine is the problem, not the tranny.

There could be additional issues with one or more of the tranny gears, but you won't know that until the engine is back running.

In a stock engine, the most likely culprit is failed main bearings, which freezes the crankshaft. The weakest link was the axle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just replaced the timing belt 12k km ago, so I doubt it broke already. Used OEM parts. Besides, the engine was running fine after the axle came loose.
The wheels spin fine, and the engine should start when the clutch is engaged even if the transmission is damaged.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Using a clean oil drain pan, drain the oil from the engine and then run all the engine oil through a coffee filter and inspect the filter. Take pictures of that filter and post.
If there is any metallic material in the coffee filter, most likely the bottom end of your motor is done for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be sure to filter the oil when I get it in the garage. Last time I changed the oil there was much more metal sprinkles than usual, so I feel like that might be the issue. Any idea what parts would be failing? Are they replaceable, or should I start car shopping?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Last time I changed the oil there was much more metal sprinkles than usual
Than usual?? "Usual" should be none.

But a couple of questions: are any of the six cap screws that attach the inner CV to the flange sheared off and still in the flange? And can the crank pulley be turned with a socket on the center bolt? If it doesn't turn fairly easily, then the engine is indeed locked up. My '99 had something go wrong inside, engine can barely be turned by hand, and is now a relic in our company back lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So the engine was running fine and you shut it off with the key?
Maybe the starter drive is jammed on the teeth of the flywheel. Rare but possible.
Can you push the vehicle with the manual transmission in neutral? If Yes....
Did you try to turn the engine over by hand in both directions?
If the engine did not turn then:
Remove or loosen the starter bolts and try to turn the engine over by hand using the crank sprocket bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are any of the six cap screws that attach the inner CV to the flange sheared off and still in the flange?
The bolts didn't shear off, they fell out. I had to re-establish the threads on two of the transmission flange bolt holes to repair the damage from them being so loose.

Maybe the starter drive is jammed on the teeth of the flywheel. Rare but possible
It could be. I've tried taking the starter off, but I cant get it to budge. I removed the two long bolts, as well as the smaller grounding bolt. I tried pulling the starter out, hitting with a hammer, prying between it and the block - the thing wont move.
The crank wont budge in either direction. I've even taken off the timing belt to eliminate it from the system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally figured it out. Clearly a bit of aluminum from the broken transmission mount had found its way into one of those 2 bolt holes for the oil pan between the engine and transmission, and lodged itself into the teeth of the flywheel, jamming the starter and ultimately the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts