Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Passat----Radio appears to work---no sound output? I've pulled the radio and checked the wire loom from the radio to the amplifier---wires are intact---and I show 6.05 Volts DC at the amp (grey plug) connections. (Why not 12 volts?). I see also that there is a blank plug on the back of the radio which is not being used---but no wiring loom plug anywhere in sight---leading me to believe that was never needed for this system. I am at a loss to understand why I've lost all sound (unless the amplifier itself has gone bad? The 10 amp fuse at the back of the radio is OK and the radio will toggle through it's normal sequence showing the display normally---but there is not so much as a squeak coming from any of the speakers. Is there supposed to be 12 volts ---not 6.05---at the amp connections? Any advise will be appreciated---I can find nothing on the internet that helps----and there is no break in continuity in the wiring loom as some of those video's have suggested to be the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Everybody! I found a good solid connection at the junction of the lead in red wire and the two or three wires which are connected to it. But that main red feed in wire had no voltage----and like all of you I spend hours trying to find out where the location of the fuse feeding the amplifier is located. I could find no location where anyone had identified that fuse location??????? But finally I located the right fuse location in the under hood fuse box---and it is F18. When I put a 30 amp fuse in there it solved my problem----sound back on----Now all I have to do is put all that mess back together---all that work because VW does not tell us where it is located----
Worse yet---I found a 30 amp fuse lying in the fuse box as if it were intended to be a spare fuse with no indication where it had come from. I now believe some shithead mechanics at Southtown Auto in SLC had removed it from it's location as that is the only place this Passat had ever been serviced-----I intend to complain to VW that they don't publish the location of that fuse----but I won't be able to say when or how or who removed that fuse because I could not prove my theory----------Best of luck to all of you who have had that problem--------

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be clear-----the fuse that powers the amplifier in my 2006 Passat radio/navigation unit is fuse #18 located in the under hood fuse box, It is located toward the right middle to the immediate left of fuse 17. To be more precise, count down nine fuses from the top right---then move to the next fuse on it's left which is fuse 16, 17 and 18 are to the immediate left of 16 respectively. The print I have shows slot 18 as empty but that is where the 30 amp fuse that powers my amplifier needs to be. I'm pretty bummed out about VW's about now because now my heater fan doesn't work and there is conflicting information as to where that fuse is located-----anybody?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts