Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 B5 with Monsoon system. My rear right midrange speaker is out. All the connections at the amp are working, and there is sound coming from the tweeter. No sound from the 6.5" speaker thought. I took the door panel off to confirm that the speaker wires are still connected to the speaker - they are.

Any other ideas?

Is the speaker blown? How much to replace? Does anyone who has upgraded their speakers have an extra one hanging around??

Thanks!
B5Buckeye

·
Registered
23 Posts
B5Buckeye,
I ran into that same problem, my rear right stopped working, but in my case, I am now redoing the entire audio system. I may have an extra one but my install won't be complete for another 5 days or so since Im waiting for parts to show up. At that time, I can let you know if I will have an extra one.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
It's either the speaker, speaker wiring or the Monsoon amp itself. Swap the rear mids and see what happens. If the sound is still out on the right then it's the amp or speaker wiring, if it moves to the left it's the speaker.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a similar problem with my B5.5.....Turns out to be a problem with corrosion of the connector where the wiring harness from the door attaches to the plug on the door frame. (I presume that the B5 has this connector too...) Simply pull the rubber boot away from the end (I think the connector is on the car end, not the door end) and you will see two connectors...Disconnect the larger one and you will probably find some green funk growing in there....Any electrical contact cleaner and a stiff brush will clean it out (be careful not to bend any pins). Then simply reconnect the connector, close up the boot and try it out. Don't know if this is your problem, but it is probably easier to check this than it is to swap speakers.... Good luck... 8)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the suggestions, folks... i took both rear door panel off to do the speaker swap, but i quickly realized that the speakers are rivoted into the doors. hmmm - where is my extra speaker wire?!?

as it turns out, when i extended the wire from the right speaker (previously working) to the left speaker (previously not working), the left speaker put out sound. cool - now i know the speaker isn't blown! but now what?!? i need to track down the problem in the wiring. nope, when i reconnected the speakers with their respective wire harnesses, both speakers worked! wtf??

oh well, all speakers are working again (for now)...

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
StLB5 said:
Engineering rule #26 - If it's broke and you can't figure out why, take it apart and put it back together.

I don't know how many times this has happened to me.
This happens so often it really should be a rule. Looks like it was some corrosion build-up that was removed when you disconnected and reconnected the wiring. It could have also been a loose connection that was put together more solidly than it was previously.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.