Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you can agree that it's annoying to have high pressure door-to-door sales people come to your doorstep selling you stuff you don't want to buy. It's especially worst when you have guests over. That's why I have a "No Soliciting" sign visibly posted at my front gate for everyone to clearly see.

So I had a contractor come over to my house last Thursday to give me an estimate for work that needed to be done. About 3 minutes into talking to my contractor, I heard a few knocks on my door. Opened up and there were two Jehovah Witnesses standing at my doorstep, with two more standing and waiting by the curb. One of them started to give me the speech on religion, love, etc... and I politely interrupted and said that I'm busy. They left me a flyer and said they'll come back.

Now personally I'm not religious. I chose not to be but it's really annoying to have these people come to my house to sell me their religious beliefs when I tell them over and over again that I'm not interested. So I was wondering... Are Jehovah Witnesses exempt from no soliciting signs or something? I don't want to be rude but it's surely becoming a nussiance.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Technically speaking, your no solicitors sign is nothing more than a request and is not "enforceable" under any law as far as I know. The law here in NH is pretty clear on that subject. Now having said that, clearly your sign is not applicable to the rude or illiterate.

Now that we have that out of the way, can I tell you about my Savior?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Ha! An older lady neighbor in Philly had a sign in her window:

"I am Catholic and not interested in other religions"

My org chem teacher in high school lived on a farm and had several small yappy dogs. While hosting a large picnic for the kids in his classes, local college chem students, etc, he heard a commotion out front. Two of the dogs had pinned a few JWs on top of their car! He had to literally haul the dogs off.

I'm glad the JWs feel so strongly, but my sprituality is between me and my God. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
atomicalex said:
Ha! An older lady neighbor in Philly had a sign in her window:

"I am Catholic and not interested in other religions"

My org chem teacher in high school lived on a farm and had several small yappy dogs. While hosting a large picnic for the kids in his classes, local college chem students, etc, he heard a commotion out front. Two of the dogs had pinned a few JWs on top of their car! He had to literally haul the dogs off.

I'm glad the JWs feel so strongly, but my sprituality is between me and my God. :)
That's exactly how I feel too! But how does one go about delivering that message without sending out the dogs!!! :suspicio:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I have two canned answers:

This one I say:

I'm Catholic - I'm allowed to drink and gamble - will your religion allow me to continue to do that?

This one I never have the guts to say because I'm afraid they may call my bluff:

You can tell me about your religion, that would be great but first, let me tell you that today is YOUR lucky day! I not only sell a complete and comprehensvie line of Life Insurance products but I also sell AMWAY too - isn't that GREAT! ;)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I tell them that I'm a Christian which usually results in a blank stare.

If they persist, I go into how religion is a set of man made rules that has resulted in the division of God's children which has in turn played into Satan's hands.

If they still don't get it, I remind them of how the Catholics and Protestants fight and kill each other in Ireland.

Then, I point them in the direction of the neighborhood a-hole's house and tell them that he's a lost soul. :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am in an apartment now, but I once leased a house where I posted a sign in the glass door stating:

These doors open for
expected guests only.

I was living in a populous area where I had all types of annoying door jockeys. I also rewired the doorbell so that it only worked if you knew to tap it twice in quick succession.

Unlike the 'No Soliciting' sign which is typically ignored, this sign made the point clear. I don't care who you are or what you are selling, these doors are not opening.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
OneGuyInCA said:
They left me a flyer and said they'll come back.
It's at this point you refuse to touch the flyer. When they say they'll come back, say "Please don't, I'd consider it treaspassing and would have to call the police."

·
Registered
634 Posts
Try these:

1. Answer the door while naked
2. Answer the door with a drink in your hand
3. If there is a TV near the front door, leave it on, with the volume turned way up, tuned to TVG (24-hour horse racing/gambling channel) or the Playboy Channel.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
JakeFrep said:
Try these:

1. Answer the door while naked
2. Answer the door with a drink in your hand
3. If there is a TV near the front door, leave it on, with the volume turned way up, tuned to TVG (24-hour horse racing/gambling channel) or the Playboy Channel.
Might backfire...they'll think you really do need to be saved.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
I tell them that I'm a Christian which usually results in a blank stare.

If they persist, I go into how religion is a set of man made rules that has resulted in the division of God's children which has in turn played into Satan's hands.

If they still don't get it, I remind them of how the Catholics and Protestants fight and kill each other in Ireland.

Then, I point them in the direction of the neighborhood a-hole's house and tell them that he's a lost soul. :lol:
I made the mistake of saying I was "christian" as-well and then all of a sudden twice a week they felt they needed to come to my door..........some 90 year old woman that I had a hard time telling "no". I kept thinking to myself "why are they bothering me when I was very firm about my believes, go save someone else". Finally I had to get rude so they would leave me along. It got to be really bad coming twice a week!!!

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Sullie said:
I have two canned answers:

This one I say:

I'm Catholic - I'm allowed to drink and gamble - will your religion allow me to continue to do that?

This one I never have the guts to say because I'm afraid they may call my bluff:

You can tell me about your religion, that would be great but first, let me tell you that today is YOUR lucky day! I not only sell a complete and comprehensvie line of Life Insurance products but I also sell AMWAY too - isn't that GREAT! ;)
TOO funny! I've used this technique on telemarketers.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
glxpassat said:
I made the mistake of saying I was "christian" as-well and then all of a sudden twice a week they felt they needed to come to my door..........some 90 year old woman that I had a hard time telling "no". I kept thinking to myself "why are they bothering me when I was very firm about my believes, go save someone else". Finally I had to get rude so they would leave me along. It got to be really bad coming twice a week!!!
I'd just never open the door.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
i had the JW's come by my house twice in the past 3 weeks...last week they started with their pitch.."sir we are here to discuss if religion is the cause of all wars in the world" but when I answered yes they could see I was in no mood....the first time I told them that I was going to hell anyway so there was no point for them to waste their time

1 - 20 of 95 Posts