Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2011 passat. My tyre pressure monitor light has come on and I'm positive there is no reset button. I've checked the glove box, center console and all settings on the dash computer and it's definately not In these locations.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Cchief22, what would this achieve pal.
I have no reset button also, none in the glove box or console, I had a tyre/tire with a slow leak and on came the "low tire" light so checked all the tires and filled the "low psi" tire to 34psi and light went off........a month later (with the onset of really cold weather) the light came on again and I assumed the same tire was low, however it was not, a friend suggested to check the spare and sure enough do to cold weather and years of setting in the trunk, being overlooked, it eventually went below the low psi limit triggering the low pressure alarm. Filled it up and light went away. I am in no way saying that this is what is your problem as safety requirements and standards I am sure are different in the States vs. GB as to "features" and also the cars manufactured for the European market vs. the US have different components and specifications. I do know my spare has the tire monitor valve stem, as as referenced above, however your spare might not have that feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as I am aware, VW uses the ABS/traction control computer to compare the speed of each tire to the others, when the difference is large enough you get the low pressure warning telling you one or more wheels is low on air and is turning faster than the rest (smaller radius of tire to road means more turns than a larger radius tire for distance travelled. They do not use TPS senders in the wheels. The spare being low is of no effect but you should check it every 6 months or so to make sure it is usable in case of emergency. System resets after a short while of driving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as I am aware, VW uses the ABS/traction control computer to compare the speed of each tire to the others, when the difference is large enough you get the low pressure warning telling you one or more wheels is low on air and is turning faster than the rest (smaller radius of tire to road means more turns than a larger radius tire for distance travelled. They do not use TPS senders in the wheels. The spare being low is of no effect but you should check it every 6 months or so to make sure it is usable in case of emergency. System resets after a short while of driving.
That's what my 2015 does - it says so in the manual. Fill all tires to same psi and it should go away.
Spare would have no affect (but of course, good idea to check the spare every now and then)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That's what my 2015 does - it says so in the manual. Fill all tires to same psi and it should go away.
Spare would have no affect (but of course, good idea to check the spare every now and then)
OK, explain to me this. So I am making a turn around a street corner/or even off an exit ramp and the outside tires/wheels are actually traveling in a larger radius than the inside wheels/tires are , thus covering more distance/having to turn a greater number of times to cover that distance, car "thinks" that those outside tires must be low.....since they are having to rotate more times to cover the distance.....that is one hell of a computer

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is really simple. The sampling rate of the computer requires a certain amount of time of data input to decide that there is a low pressure tire. Turning is a short duration event. Long curved roads do not produce that much differential so the level required to trigger a warning is not met there either. Now driving straight and getting 1 low reading compared to the other 3 over time tells the smart chips in there that there is a problem.Modern cars track wheel angle, wheel rotation velocity, ground speed and engine and transmission, and even differential rotation. Not that complicated even for a long in the tooth retired engineer. ;-)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well you definitely got me on that one,now riddle me this, I get in my Passat as I do every day (by the way this is a true story) and unknown to me I must have picked up a nail on my drive home the previous evening.......but overnight it lost significant air and tire was now low, I started the car and the low tire warning light came on......how did it know since I did not drive anywhere, luckily when I did look the right rear was low and the nail was clearly visible , went up to my garage and got compressor plugged it and was on my way...magic?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no reset button also, none in the glove box or console, I had a tyre/tire with a slow leak and on came the "low tire" light so checked all the tires and filled the "low psi" tire to 34psi and light went off........a month later (with the onset of really cold weather) the light came on again and I assumed the same tire was low, however it was not, a friend suggested to check the spare and sure enough do to cold weather and years of setting in the trunk, being overlooked, it eventually went below the low psi limit triggering the low pressure alarm. Filled it up and light went away. I am in no way saying that this is what is your problem as safety requirements and standards I am sure are different in the States vs. GB as to "features" and also the cars manufactured for the European market vs. the US have different components and specifications. I do know my spare has the tire monitor valve stem, as as referenced above, however your spare might not have that feature.
I had the same thing happen with my 2008 chief is correct on what he has said. There can be 5 tires with monitors in them depending on when the car was built. Any one of them low and the TPM indicator light will come on. I put my 4 regular tires at 34 and the spare 2lbs over what is on the tire and the TOM will go off. This site is to help each other overcome what HE has screwed the pooch on; not to criticize each other. It all depends on what was happening on the assembly line the day your car was built; and YES, it does change! By the way, air condenses when cold, that's why the TPM Indicator can go off, when there's nothing wrong with the tires. It's called Physics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The spare doesn't always have the TPMS mine doesn't, and then when I put the regular rim and a new tire back on and drive for 10ft it goes away. Unless you have a faulty TPMS sensor this is what should happen every time. They do sell a tool to read and reset those...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts