Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo today i decided to put in some new speakers in my 1999 Passat B5 1.8T. I bougt 2 pairs of same spekarers started from the front everything was okay managed to replace both front spekers..... But the suprise came when i went in the rear doors.... I was welcomed with no speakers and no wiring for rear door speakers which left me speechless.... Now i dont know what to do... Please help

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you want rear speakers you'll have to mount them in the doors and then add the wiring to your stereo. If you are using the VW Monsoon system for the amplifier, be aware that the speakers are specially made to match the output of the amp. They are more or less mechanically equalized to match the output of the amp. Using generic speakers with a Monsoon amp will usually result in worse sound quality. If you really want to replace the speakers you should probably replace the amp or head unit as well.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
Surprisingly common in European Passats to not have rear speakers. I doubt that it would be monsoon, but you never know. Yes, you will need to run wiring from the radio (if it supports rear speakers) to each door and wire them up. Shouldn't be too difficult, just pulling panels and running the wire through the rubber bellows in each door.

the correct way would be to buy the proper pins to go into the door connectors so it connects like it would from the factory. Beyond that, drilling a hole through each side of the door harness connector in a part that does not have any wiring near it would allow you to run the speaker wire through the connector.

Reactions: bakirb5

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
just as a point of interest/speculation, when you pull the boot of at the door pillar (being careful, taking your time as the plastic snap in connectors for the rubber boot is tricky) is there a connection housing/connector in the pillar itself ?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
in the U.S. cars there are two multi port connectors in the pillar one with a number of pinouts is for the windows/door locks/interior lights etc. the other connector in the pillar is for speakers, you will know if you pull the boot. if indeed you have both in the pillar then all you need is the short length harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea yesterday when i pulled everything apart i also pulled the boot out and i found one conector that you were saying,but i didnt check if i had the other empty one in the pillar..... i will inspect again after work.... so in the case i have the other connector i just need another harness for speakers?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
yea yesterday when i pulled everything apart i also pulled the boot out and i found one connector that you were saying, but I didn't check if i had the other empty one in the pillar..... I will inspect again after work.... so in the case i have the other connector i just need another harness for speakers?
Hopefully you did not break the intricate connectors, VW really over thought how to connect it to the pillar, I cut/hole punched some drainage slits at the bottom of the accordion folds as water tends to collect and corrode the harness points in the pillar connection block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts