Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
I have a 2005 VW Passat 1.8T. Had replaced Battery and Alternator a month ago. Recently all power windows have stopped working on all the switches on ever door. The drivers side master switch will only unlock and lock the doors and operate the power mirrors. The passenger side door will unlock and lock as well but the window switch won’t work. The back to doors the window switch won’t do anything either. I have read up a lot on checking fuse 14 and that is okay. I tried tying the battery cables together to reset all modules and still nothing. I have the CCM out of the safety box and the harness all Un wrapped Trying to find corroded Or broken wires, nothing. I have checked for power and ground to the drivers door module and it’s all there. I have tried a new master switch on the drivers door and just like the factor one, the locks only work. I have tried a new drivers door module and still nothing. The only thing I haven’t tried is a new CCM (which I have one coming from eBay and will be here Monday) but am I just wasting my time replacing the CCM? I have found no broken wires anywhere or corrosion so any help with any experience with this problem would be great!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
There are two power circuits to the doors. One powers the window modules communication, lights, locks, etc. The wire is red/blue (body) or red/green (door).

The other circuit powers only the window motors, red/white. It is powered from a 30 amp circuit breaker semi-hidden near the relay panels. (Another poster had the issue a month or two ago.) This circuit is almost certainly your problem. You can check for voltage at the big red/white wire at any door connector (should be always hot). Ref Bentley schematic 82/4 & /5.

The windows will work with the controls on their own door even if the CCM is missing, so it's not the problem. And if you can operate other locks from the driver's door, then the CCM is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two power circuits to the doors. One powers the window modules communication, lights, locks, etc. The wire is red/blue (body) or red/green (door).

The other circuit powers only the window motors, red/white. It is powered from a 30 amp circuit breaker semi-hidden near the relay panels. (Another poster had the issue a month or two ago.) This circuit is almost certainly your problem. You can check for voltage at the big red/white wire at any door connector (should be always hot). Ref Bentley schematic 82/4 & /5.

The windows will work with the controls on their own door even if the CCM is missing, so it's not the problem. And if you can operate other locks from the driver's door, then the CCM is fine.

Would loss of power here cause the fuel door release not to work or the dome lights or trunk release To not work either? Because none of them work neither

·
Registered
850 Posts
Would loss of power here cause the fuel door release not to work or the dome lights or trunk release To not work either? Because none of them work neither
Negative. The trunk release switch is wired directly to the CCM - it doesn't go thru the door module (window motor.)
And, the fuel door release directly drives the fuel door lock.
For those two failures, failed switches, or broken wires (in the flex hose between door and body) are the most-likely causes.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Adding to cuppie's post #4:
The trunk release switch on the driver's door is wired to an input on the CCM. The CCM activates an internal relay to power the trunk release when it sees that input go to ground, or when it gets a command from the remote. If the trunk does work from the remote, then the switch or wire is the issue. Otherwise it may be a CCM power issue. Check fuses 11, 14, and 44.

The fuel door release is powered from fuse 14. Power from fuse 14 is directly switched on the door to power the fuel door release motor. Check Fuse 14 with a meter. The switch, wire, or the motor itself could be the issue. If the motor is seized, it may blow Fuse 14 and cause the other CCM issues (trunk release, dome lights).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!!!! Problem fixed! I had the entire CCM control module out as well as the wire harness that goes to it. Fuse 14 checked out okay in the fuse box but for those that don’t know, fuse 14 is the fuse that carries power to the CCM. TraceD the wire that comes out of the fuse box from 14 to the CCM and found a junction splice that looked good but tested power across it and on one side had power and on the other nothing. Turned over the junction splice and it was green inside. Cut the junction out and soldered them together, heard a click from the CCM, dome lights came on. Tried the windows and trunk and fuel door and everything works good as new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.