·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Paging FrescoGreen01.5...

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Might anybody have a spare ECU to lend?
I have been combing the web for 2 days now and the majority of all fixes have been done by replacing the ECU or ECM of you will.

OP is not getting any communication from the ECU. A known good loaner/replacement ECU would test this situation immediately. I think this would be the fastest least amount of heartache.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Not related to this post at all...
Doing extensive searching I ran across PZ's post on VWVortex and noticed he had less than 1k posts. I had to chuckle. Better step up your game Paul. :p

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Huh, now that I think about it. I know I've got at least (2) working ECU's sitting back in WI.
You're welcome to have one if you want it. Both from a 2001 ATQ v6 with auto trans. Minor recoding for the manual transmission you have.

·
Administrator
23,309 Posts
just an FYI, a real VAS 5052 is the authentic VW dealer scan tool.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
just an FYI, a real VAS 5052 is the authentic VW dealer scan tool.
How many people really know how to use one?
I've seen them and I know there are very specific instructions to test whatever component you're testing.
If I had to use one, don't know if I'd be able to. VCDS is my friend.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
Not related to this post at all...
Doing extensive searching I ran across PZ's post on VWVortex and noticed he had less than 1k posts. I had to chuckle. Better step up your game Paul. :p
I rarely posted there as their B5 forum was not as large or knowledgeable as here. I post slightly more there now due to the Tiguan.

I also should have a spare 01 B5 ATQ ECU and maybe 2 TCUs, but I prefer to keep it local. Without a location, it's hard to help sometimes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the speed sensor location. I still have the bumper cover off, so I think I can reach in from the front. Not sure how to test it though.

That's a nice clean motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This morning brings success ! Long time in coming but sweet just the same. Purrs like before.
Will post some details after the weekend. Still somewhat of a mystery though.
I was not going to take it to the dealer. No way.

My sincere thanks to all for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
well allright !!!!!! and great job on the rebuild!!!!! what was it that was the problem?? inquiring Passat minds wonder!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Not sure if I can say exactly what the problem was, or the cure. It may have been a couple of things. I was relieved that it wasn't anything to do with the work I did. Began to second guess that. But here is how it came back to life. (Sorry it got a little long).

At the initial start up after finishing the work, I didn't hear the fuel pump run and knew I was going to have a problem before I even cranked it. Disappointment. No sign of life. Ran perfect before I thought I should fix it! Didn't even sound like there was any compression in that piece of machinery.( I was compelled to test that)

Started to talking to people, getting ideas. cchief22 said to check the FP relay by manually closing it. Great idea. FP ran fine. Cross that off. Met some good indep. local mechanics willing to talk. Came on this site and did a lot of reading. Borrowed the VAS 5052 from a Phaeton owning friend. Finally, in a phone call with AndreasPassat, he gave me a valuable short list of things, including first off, checking the various grounding posts. Firewall post looked good, but it was easy to get at so I cleaned it all up anyway. Second post was the pass side motor mount to chassis rail cable. Just didn't look so good, so I checked continuity between the two metal masses this 12 inch cable was supposed to be connecting. No beep, no matter how I scraped the probes against the metal. Cleaned it all up. The other end wasn't as easy to get at, but didn't look as bad either. Skip it. Test again. Got the beep. Considering that my floor mats have never, ever, really gotten wet, I just gave a quick look at the other two posts that were located under the kick panel and floor mat. As I suspected, nice shiny and dry. Showroom condition.

Moved on to the pin connectors at the ECU and the ABS module. Unplugged, plug in again. Repeat 2x. In 19 years, that ABS plug has never been touched....certain of that. All pins looked ok though. Try to start again.

This time, because I still had the knee panel off under the steering wheel and the FP relay cover still off of the relay (yes, the bare naked relay), I could see the relay contacts close and fire up the fuel pump as soon as the cranking started. Funny though, didn't do that with just the key on. ? I heard just the slightest indication of life in the beast. Cranked till the big STOP came on, so let the charger catch the battery up, and went mowed more grass for 10 minutes. Repeat 4x. Sounded better each time and wanted to run. OK, guess I'm bringin' this bitch back one cylinder at a time then. Finally the last time, sounded like the starter was keeping the engine running, so I just let go. It stumbled and shook for only 2 seconds, then bingo. There it was. Running like nothing was ever wrong with it. Revved, purred. Brought up to operating temp, shut it off. Came back in 10 min. touched the starter, instantly jumped to life.

A couple observations:

1. During the final starting process, it acted like a badly flooded engine. Though I smelled no gas.
2. There was a lot of moisture on the floor under the tailpipe after the first start up. Puddle large enough to wipe up. Have never noted that from this car. Have always burned premium fuel..
3. Because I was changing spark plugs, I pulled the old ones out and valve covers off during initial disassembly. Cylinders remained open to a humid environment (concrete building) the whole time. (3-4 weeks) I noted visible moisture on the engine at times.
4. It was my first VW timing belt change. The cam locking bar and crank lock came in handy as a safety feature and confidence builder. I would use them again, but I think the job can be done without once you've done it.
5. The belts, WP, tensioner, pulleys that I removed all appeared in excellent condition with 162k on them.
6. The VAS 5052 was not helpful this time. I did not find it to be particularly user friendly. There was no keyboard, so navigation was slow and balky. (the one I had anyway) Back to basics ruled the day.
7. I know more about my engine than some indep mechanics that claim to be "import" mechanics. I credit this site for that. There is a lot of knowledge here.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful comments. Special thanks to cchief22 and AndreasPassat for the personal communications, parts, information and hand holding. I will pay this forward.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'm just glad you got it going.
Now get out there and drive it around before the CEL lights up again.:LOL:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts