Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Passat - V6. 30k miles. Using synthetic oil. Every 3k miles, the "Stop Engine" message comes on saying there is no oil pressure and the that the motor is about to overheat. I pull over, check the oil pan, not a drop in it. No leaks in the driveway or at the office. Suggestions? Leaky/broken/bent piston valve maybe? Help!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ummm...just a thought, but maybe you should be checking your oil level more frequently is in has happened 10 times, I can't imagine your engine is worth a shit anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is not an april fools day joke. in the past 6k miles, it has happened twice. The first time I brought it right in for and oil change and check up and nothing was reported. 3k miles later, the same engine light comes on and I checked the oil level and she was bone dry. I have since started checking it daily, but I was honestly wondering if anyone else has had this kind of a problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just because it doesn't show on your dipstick, doesn't mean it's bone dry.... Check your tail pipe for oil resedue, you could be burning a bunch of oil past the rings. Did you break the car in before using synthetic? You aren't supposed to put synthetic in for about 6000 to 10000 miles. The piston rings will never seat and you will get a lot of blow by. The reason is that synthetic is TOO slippery for proper ring breakin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just because it doesn't show on your dipstick, doesn't mean it's bone dry.... Check your tail pipe for oil resedue, you could be burning a bunch of oil past the rings. Did you break the car in before using synthetic? You aren't supposed to put synthetic in for about 6000 to 10000 miles. The piston rings will never seat and you will get a lot of blow by. The reason is that synthetic is TOO slippery for proper ring breakin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes. waited til about 20k miles before the synthetic and I have heard the same thing about checking the exhaust pipe. Im going to do that today, but it has been pouring rain for the past 36 hours. I'll have to wait until it stops to get a proper reading on checking the tail pipe.
And the only reason that I say that there is no oil in it at all is the huge red light that comes on, beeps uncontrollably and tells me to stop the car because oil levels are dangerously low and motot in dmager of overheating. I leave it off the road for a day, let the oil settle back into the pan and then check it several times and there isn't anything on the dipstick. not a thing.
thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Voltron said:
I have been doing a lot of reading on this lately and everything I have read says that this is just a myth. You can switch at any time and the engine will break in properly.

Some cars that ship with synthetic:

Chevrolet Corvette
All Porsche vehicles
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
x said:
Ummm...just a thought, but maybe you should be checking your oil level more frequently....
The V6 is a notorious oil eater. Owner's manual suggests checking oil at every fuel fill...in your case, I'd follow that recommendation like a sacred text, until you get the car looked at. Be forewarned...others have found that oil consumption under 1 qt per 1,000 miles is considered "acceptable" by VWoA.

Are you the original owner?

So, how much oil do you have to add to get it show up? 1 quart, or more? How much more?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Altair 4 said:
The V6 is a notorious oil eater. Owner's manual suggests checking oil at every fuel fill...in your case, I'd follow that recommendation like a sacred text, until you get the car looked at. Be forewarned...others have found that oil consumption under 1 qt per 1,000 miles is considered "acceptable" by VWoA.

So, how much oil do you have to add to get it show up? 1 quart, or more? How much more?
I'll chime in here because I've had a lot of experience with this. My 01.5 V6 burns almost 1qt/1000 miles and I'm in the process of my second oil consumption test.

Did you tell the dealership that you had gotten a low oil pressure warning when you first brought it in? And they did nothing? I think you must have forgotten to mention it, because your dealership should have immediately started you on an oil consumption test for your vehicle. See below.

a) You're not *out* of oil if you dipstick is dry, but you're probably down about 1.5-2 qts. You should definitely go into the gas station and purchase a qt or two of oil at this point and add it in gradually until its in the acceptable range.

b) You should definitely be checking your oil frequently, at least every time you fill the tank. You need to establish a measurement of how much oil your car burns in a given # of miles. Probably the first thing you should do is go to your dealership and start an oil consumption test. The dealership will top off your oil and then mark the level on the dipstick. Basically you keep checking and bring it in when it starts to get low. If you've burned through 1qt in 1000 miles VW says you've got a problem. If less than 1qt in 1000 miles, VW thinks your car is normal :mad:

c) You may have to get used to adding oil to your car on a frequent basis. If you're not burning 1qt of oil per 1000 miles you're just going to be stuck pouring oil into your car pretty regularly. :mad:

So basically you need to get to the dealership and have them check for leaks or some sort of major problem. Most likely they'll start an oil consumption test and you'll have to keep track of how much oil your car is using. Then maybe they'll fix the problem and maybe not. Either way you've got to start keeping track.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
In follow up to gobigred's comments...make sure that if the dealer does a consoumption test, that they don't overfill the engine at the beginning of the test. It was either here or on Vwvortex, someone wrote about that exact situation. I'd wanna look over the tech's shoulder when they fill and check that oil the first time. You just wanna make sure....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Altair 4 said:
In follow up to gobigred's comments...make sure that if the dealer does a consoumption test, that they don't overfill the engine at the beginning of the test. It was either here or on Vwvortex, someone wrote about that exact situation. I'd wanna look over the tech's shoulder when they fill and check that oil the first time. You just wanna make sure....
word, should have mentioned that. :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Ok, I had a very similar problem as this. Here's the story:

I have a 2001.5 V6 4Mo Passat with 64,500 (+/-) that gave me the "STOP - loss of oil pressure" warning on this past Monday. The engine turned out to be 3 quarts low. Some people talk about the V6 being an oil pig and that would be normal consumption between service intervals. Personally I think that's a load and my engine NEVER consumes mor than 3/4 quart per 5000 miles so I knew there was a big problem.

I didn't drive it all week, and I made an appointment for service today. I took it in this morning and they put the car up in the air and found that it was leaking oil from the rear cam seals and the oil was dripping down on the catalytic converters. Since there is only oil leaking from the cam seals when the engine is running and the cats would be hot I never saw any drips or stains where I park because the oil would burn up before it hit the ground.

The dealer replaced both rear cam seals under warranty as well as both valve cover seals. I've started my own consumption test, before I drove the car off the lot I checked the oil level and reset the trip odometer, I'll check it again in 1k miles, but I'm confident that the issue is resolved.

HTH.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I think the "oil pig" label came about from the ring issue that plagued some early B5s. I remember a few people getting their motors replaced with low mileage back in 99-00 with faulty or inappropriately installed piston rings being blamed. Seems like they fixed the defect along the way somewhere though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Macabre said:
I think the "oil pig" label came about from the ring issue that plagued some early B5s. I remember a few people getting their motors replaced with low mileage back in 99-00 with faulty or inappropriately installed piston rings being blamed. Seems like they fixed the defect along the way somewhere though.
Thought this post was dead, eh? Not so!

Can anyone provide a little more info about the above? In a car that has having faulty piston rings, is engine replacement more appropriate than replacing only the pistons/rings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
jwil said:
Ok, I had a very similar problem as this. Here's the story:

I have a 2001.5 V6 4Mo Passat with 64,500 (+/-) that gave me the "STOP - loss of oil pressure" warning on this past Monday. The engine turned out to be 3 quarts low. Some people talk about the V6 being an oil pig and that would be normal consumption between service intervals. Personally I think that's a load and my engine NEVER consumes mor than 3/4 quart per 5000 miles so I knew there was a big problem.

I didn't drive it all week, and I made an appointment for service today. I took it in this morning and they put the car up in the air and found that it was leaking oil from the rear cam seals and the oil was dripping down on the catalytic converters. Since there is only oil leaking from the cam seals when the engine is running and the cats would be hot I never saw any drips or stains where I park because the oil would burn up before it hit the ground.

The dealer replaced both rear cam seals under warranty as well as both valve cover seals. I've started my own consumption test, before I drove the car off the lot I checked the oil level and reset the trip odometer, I'll check it again in 1k miles, but I'm confident that the issue is resolved.

HTH.
I experienced the exact same symptoms this week (for the 1st time) with bonus warnings "check engine" & "check emmissions!!' There are no signs of leaks anywherea and it took 3 quarts of oil to get the dip stick to register full. I took it into the dealer and am now in the "oil monitoring" program. This is NOT going to be a fun exercise!

2001 V6 GLX 5-speed

·
Registered
44 Posts
GoBigRed said:
Macabre said:
Can anyone provide a little more info about the above? In a car that has having faulty piston rings, is engine replacement more appropriate than replacing only the pistons/rings?
They will replace the engine with a newly manufactured engine because it is easier that way. It costs too much money for the dealership to tear apart a motor and do a rebuild. It is easier to send the existing 'core' motor back to VW and have a fresh one put in. The old one will be dismantled at the factory and rebuilt accordingly. Plus, I am not sure the dealership has that many employees who are actually skilled at the task of doing a rebuild correctly and to EXACT VW specs. There is too much to screw up, especially with their 'Jiffy Lube University' mechanics they have on staff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Voltron said:
They will replace the engine with a newly manufactured engine because it is easier that way. It costs too much money for the dealership to tear apart a motor and do a rebuild. It is easier to send the existing 'core' motor back to VW and have a fresh one put in. The old one will be dismantled at the factory and rebuilt accordingly. Plus, I am not sure the dealership has that many employees who are actually skilled at the task of doing a rebuild correctly and to EXACT VW specs. There is too much to screw up, especially with their 'Jiffy Lube University' mechanics they have on staff.
That's what I assumed, but.... I'll just let the cat out of the bag and tell everyone that my car's going to be getting new pistons/rings next Monday. I failed my latest oil consumption test in a big way (1.25qt in 800 miles) and VW finally decided to take care of the problem. I expected them to just replace the engine, but instead I guess they are going to replace just the pistons/rings. They've booked me for a "2-3 day job", which does sound fairly expensive.

I'd estimate that I've already had ~$5000 worth of warranty work done on my car for other low-quality issues, so I'd say after this next adventure they'll have lost money on my car.

I can't decide if I should just let them do the pistons/rings or if I should call VWofA and raise hell (again) to see if they'll just replace the engine. I trust the dealership service people (believe it or not they've done good work in the past), but I'll probably go postal if my engine is still burning oil after getting the pistons replaced. Any body else here think I should be worried about having the pistons replaced at the dealership?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
GoBigRed
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing