Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car warms up fine. I set the climate control to auto and the fan is way down and only cold air. I turn the heat and fan to max and very little heat. I mean very little.

Is this common? Am I looking at bad dampers or a sensor not reading right? How expensive is this to fix. All my repairs go through the VW dealer since there are no shops that specialize in VW. One shop told me they work on European cars. They scanned my car and told me they have no clue what's wrong. They wanted paid to tell me goto VW.

Any ideas? Last time I went to VW with this car, I ended up getting a new transmission. I don't want to go back.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Check coolant level first. Then...
Could be as simple as a stuck (open) thermostat. A cheap way to tell is let the car warm up and then feel both radiator hoses. BE CAREFUL, watch for fan.
They should both be very hot. If not, you probably have a stuck thermostat. It's a relatively cheap fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the thermostat is stuck open, the car shouldn't read 190 degrees on the temp gauge. The car heats up quick and stays right at 190 with no fluctuation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts