Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Komfort 2.0 TSI starts and runs flawlessly until the air temperature drops below 50°F .
Then it looses high idle/mixture enrichment and will throw a code
for multiple miss fire and stutter/stall
unless you can hold the idle around 1,500 rpm for 10 minutes and then let it idle for an additional 30 minutes until temp is 195. Then it runs flawlessly again until the next overnight cold start.
PCV assembly replaced
Stock Iridium plugs replaced yearly
Stock air filter replaced (6 months)
Regular oil changes (5w30 full synthetic)
4 coil packs replaced
Fuel pump regulator replaced
DSG trans replaced.
Mass air replaced.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
check your "coolant temperature sensor" (symptoms you mention point to it)there are typically two sensors on the engine one reads and indicates temp on the instrument cluster, the other "reports" to the ECU.....I would check that out next....as to location I am sure it is on engine (ha) but with a Passat who the hell knows,usually it is from a "flow" direction(coolant plumbing) standpoint ahead of the heater core.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How many miles on your Passat? If over 80K, you may want to look into having your valves and cylinder head cleaned. Carbon buildup on the direct-injected TSI engines often manifests itself with cold-start issues such as you describe. If over 80K (which is about the tipping point where carbon buildup becomes a problem) then find a good shop with a walnut-shell blaster that knows how to do that on VWs and BMWs. The effect after cleaning can be transformative. Not cheap though - typically around $600-800 to do the job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts