Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered a major coolant leak somewhere near or above the oil filter today (1.8T engine). The reservoir is unable to hold any distilled water i put in. What kind of damage would occur should I choose to drive to my local mechanic, 15 miles. The engine coolant light and STOP indicator lights up 30 seconds after I start the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
301 Posts
there are two coolant lines that go to the top of the housing where the oil filter screws on (they're the oil cooler lines) id check them first. There is also a large line that runs up over the intake manny and around the back of the head to a plastic junction. i blew on o-ring there once, but it was not as bad as you are describing. good luck!

-Drew

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could it be possible the water pump is damaged, and if so what symptons would it exhibit.

thanks all

update: I think i may have found the source of the leak. Here goes; just directly ahead of the oil filter is what looks to be a valve that extends from a small diameter pipe running alongside the engine. this valve has a partial hose clamped to it, yet this hose isn't connected to anything. So its just basically an extended valve with a piece of a hose clamped to the end of it going nowhere. the water i put in the reservoir is evidently leaking at this connection.

Any input on what i just described would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.