Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Have had the Continental PureContact tires on there the last few years but they're shot and need new rubber before winter rolls into NJ.

The car is stock and the original Goodyear tires were noisy as hell. So I'm looking for a good quality tire that isn't noisy and which will work well year round.

And it has to be Bridgestone, BF goodrich, or Michelin. The Michelins on our Suburban are awesome but a little too big for the Passat. Any suggestions?

And they can't be made in China! :mad:

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
put "Generals" on mine for lastvwinter,was I surprised how well they were in snow and ride, might check outb"wheel and tire" sub forum on this sitecalso

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked in that subforum and there's almost no activity

Hadn't considered General tires, mostly looking at the brands they carry at Costco.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have Generals on a car (BMW) and they are made by Continental in Mexico.
interesting......drove my B5.5 wagon last winter (against my wishes) ,so took off my 17"/hancooks (which I sorta hate) and put on some 15" with the all season Generals recommended by my tire guy,of course the sidewall being taller cushioned way better, but what I did notice was since I kept them on well into June was way less noise,vibration at speed and for being a softer compound figured they would have shown more wear than they did..... totally surprised. Now just picked up a B6 with 17" rims so going to put same Generals on it. Now with a shallower profile will be able to compare apples to apples to my 17" Hancooks. In defense of the Hancooks they have not shown a lot of wear.......but now that you mention the Cont./Gen. connection was going to go to Cont.s to replace H'cks but now will try the Generals on the 17" rims.Thanks for the info!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts