1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
So let me get this right.....people are pissed at the US Govt because Motorex f'd up and didn't get full NHTSA crash test documentation approval for all three models. Um, ok. And no, I didn't read every word of the article. But that's the general idea I'm getting from it.

I actually researched a skyline purchase many moons ago and no matter how hard I looked, read, called, googled etc. - all the dots didn't quite connect. And NHTSA stamp of approval was the biggest thing for me when talking about this kind of purchase. Not one person I spoke to, govt. or otherwise could be %100 confident that ownership in the US was legal. So, I didn't.

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
That's a load of crap...I feel bad for their community and hope it turns out better for them.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Not quite, people are pissed off the government is wasting our precious taxdollars trying to confiscate a handful of cars that made it to the United States due to a loophole that has now been closed.

I can't say I wouldn't be upset if some government stooge shows up at my door and demand that I give up my car without any warning or compensation because some politician decided it was in the public's best interest to change a law.

I've sat in a JDM skyline before, and I don't see how they'd be any less safe than anyone driving a kit car/Geo Metro/or anything on two wheels.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Wait, can't you own these based on the 1999 Show and Display law? Or is that just for rich guys like Bill Gates who want to buy Porsche 959s?

·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So let me get this right.....people are pissed at the US Govt because Motorex f'd up and didn't get full NHTSA crash test documentation approval for all three models. Um, ok. And no, I didn't read every word of the article. But that's the general idea I'm getting from it.

I actually researched a skyline purchase many moons ago and no matter how hard I looked, read, called, googled etc. - all the dots didn't quite connect. And NHTSA stamp of approval was the biggest thing for me when talking about this kind of purchase. Not one person I spoke to, govt. or otherwise could be %100 confident that ownership in the US was legal. So, I didn't.
If your putting it in a very simplified nut shell then yes people are pissed because Motorex failed to properly test all three models. However, it also stated that the VCP-17, which stated that all three cars were to different to group together was later changed yet again to VCP-32 and included even less of the R33 models.

"The approval that Motorex pushed through the NHTSA was that R32’s, 33’s and 34’s were to be imported and the crash testing data from the R33 was used for all 3 models under a “substantially similar” clause that was later challenged in 2006 when the VCP-17 approval of Skyline imports for R32’s, 33’s and 34’s was reconsidered by the NHTSA. It was decided that the 3 models were far too different and the fact that there was no crash test data to support the R32’s and R34’s sealed their fate and got them removed from the non-conforming approval list at the NHTSA. The approval for import was later redesignated VCP-32 and only covered 1996-1998 R33’s both GTS and GTR varients. In a nutshell, only specific Skylines can be imported as of 2006 and there’s still a constant uphill battle over OBDII that still has yet to see the end of the tunnel."

All in all, although Motorex should have properly tested all three models. The changing of rules and expectations by the government along with the high amount of money, time and effort spent in gathering up all of these skylines, even though there are countless better tings to spend money on makes up the bulk of the issue.
I just find it crazy that someone would have to go through so much time and effort and jump through so many hoops just to get a car brought over here. If it doesn't meet safety standards then I understand but according to this article all three models could and did meet safety standards until the laws were changed and even now the R33's met all standards again until rules were changed. :crazy:

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
In all honesty, hell, just make me sign a waiver saying that if I crash and it's my fault, insurance doesn't cover me. There, no need for a crash test if I'm taking liability for my own safety.

·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ this, and find something better to waste tax payers money on then a hand full of car enthusiast.
:salute:

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
They should shift their focus to seizure of Nissan's more terrible vehicles, specifically the Murano convertible, Versa, and Cube.

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
for example...

In all honesty, hell, just make me sign a waiver saying that if I crash and it's my fault, insurance doesn't cover me. There, no need for a crash test if I'm taking liability for my own safety.
What about when your RHD headlights blind people lawfully driving in a LHD country and cause them to crash?

Is there even a LHD version of this car? I thought there wasn't. So that would mean there are no LHD headlights available on this vehicle.

Bam; not legal in the US. Period.

·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The headlights are a very good point. however, why not just allow for conversions? Hell even make the conversions mandatory or the owner risk loosing the car. But instead they allowed importing then changed their minds and now, instead of fixing problem (like the lights) they just scoop them all up and haul them off.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
I think the main problem the gov't has with Skylines, is the shady people/behavior they tend to attract in droves. I am not trying to say people who own Skylines are shady (I love the R34 as much as the next guy) but they tend to attract theives, shady sales people (i.e. motorex, etc.) and are well known cars for being used in street races. Not to mention the obvious issues of these cars generally being modified to within an inch of their life, and losing every piece of emissions equipment along the way.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
for example...

What about when your RHD headlights blind people lawfully driving in a LHD country and cause them to crash?

Is there even a LHD version of this car? I thought there wasn't. So that would mean there are no LHD headlights available on this vehicle.

This is no worse than those guys who put HID in non-projector headlamps, and I bet there are more than 10000 of these guys to 1 JDM skyline owner in the US.

The whole point is, the population of US guys who own skylines are so small, yet the US government is so adamant on tracking down each one of these vehicle. The money and resources can be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Why are they being confiscated? Why not just prevent registration or require off-road registration only?

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
for example...

When taking my RHD car abroad, I fit these to my headlights.

Incidentally, when bringing LHD cars to the UK hardly anyone bothers to do the same, thankfully I've managed to not crash so far.

·
3,779 Posts
This is no worse than those guys who put HID in non-projector headlamps, and I bet there are more than 10000 of these guys to 1 JDM skyline owner in the US.

The whole point is, the population of US guys who own skylines are so small, yet the US government is so adamant on tracking down each one of these vehicle. The money and resources can be better spent elsewhere.
The headlights are just one expample of many reasons this car is not legal in the US. And HIDs in cars that did not come with them are also illegal anywhere in the US. I've seen less and less HID retrofits driving around my area as the police are cracking down for the revenue. I haven't had any trouble; mine are in projectors and have the power levelers so I have great control of my HID beams.

Bumpers, structural side impact restraints, emissions equipment, vehicle lighting, etc, are just some of the parts that must be made US-compliant to make an imported vehicle road legal.

·
3,779 Posts
The headlights are a very good point. however, why not just allow for conversions? Hell even make the conversions mandatory or the owner risk loosing the car.
They do, but the problem is there are no US-legal parts that can be used for conversion.

Back to the headlights... LHD lights don't exist for this vehicle. To make them US-legal, someone would need to custom make a headlight cluster that has a US-legal LHD beam pattern.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
it's not really about safety. it's really about protecting the US's trade position. if it means confiscating and crushing a few exotic and/or rare imports, so be it. the time and money spent doing this is, in their minds, more than offset in the protection of their tariffs. at least, that's my completely uninformed and half-baked theory.

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
Because the importation was not legal to begin with.
It was a few years ago, now they realize they fucked up and are trying to correct there mistake. I agree its bogus, but what a waste of money! Find other things to spend our dollars on. Like... our oil reserves that are never going to be taped! :banghead:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts