Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this NGK plug good to use on my 1999 AEB 1.8T Passat?

There are several NGK choices out there.

The model number is BKUR6ET.

Let the tuning-up continue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've found that my Passat runs best on the OEM plugs from the dealer. I couldn't seem to get my hands on another brand plug with the exact same heat range I guess.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Yup...x2. It seems our cars run best on the OEM NGKs. I heard of some success with copper plugs, but they need to be changed more often.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yup...x2. It seems our cars run best on the OEM NGKs. I heard of some success with copper plugs, but they need to be changed more often.
Note that the OEM NGKs are actually sold as normal ones.
For example, BKR6EKUB is the OEM V6 plug. $6 online v. $20 at the stealership

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
His car is an AEB it came stock with Bosch 3 electrodes that are not made anymore. They have been replaced by a Bosch 2 electrode.

That is actually the plug I was going to try in my AEB the next time around :thumbup:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Just stay stock and buy the Bosch F7LTCR plugs. These are still recommended even with the K04 upgrade.:thumbup:

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
Just stay stock and buy the Bosch F7LTCR plugs. These are still recommended even with the K04 upgrade.:thumbup:
whaaaa? AWE just told me last week that the stock Bosch are FR7LDC :( what the delio?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found this-

According to the Chilton's manual, "routine maint and tune up: 1-39", NGK BKUR6ET is the oem plug.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
OEM 1.8T Plugs:
AEB -- Bosch F7LTCR -- 20,000 mile service life
ATW AUG AWM -- NGK PFR6Q -- 40,000 mile service life

(The different plugs for the AEB are probably due to the different head, valve diameter, & intake runner geometry on the AEB vs. the later 1.8T engines)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OEM 1.8T Plugs:
AEB -- Bosch F7LTCR -- 20,000 mile service life
ATW AUG AWM -- NGK PFR6Q -- 40,000 mile service life

(The different plugs for the AEB are probably due to the different head, valve diameter, & intake runner geometry on the AEB vs. the later 1.8T engines)
I have an AEB with a Wett chip, does that change anything? Should I get plugs that are one heat range cooler??

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have an AEB with a Wett chip, does that change anything? Should I get plugs that are one heat range cooler??
I have a Wett chip, too (0.9 Bar) and I use the OEM NGK PFR6Q's. I never see any significant knock-based timing retard (always less than 5 degrees & typically zero), so I haven't messed with a colder heat range. (I hook up the vag-com at least once a month and log data)

I've heard good things about using Denso Copper plugs in this engine, but only if you stick to a 5,000 mile change interval.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I wouldn't trust everything that you read in Chilton's.

I still am stumped why a German automaker would use a Japanese plug?
because NGKs simply kick the crap out of bosch plugs (see the breakage issues in other threads)
Same reason the new VWs have Aisin trannies.
I know the V6 OEMs are NGKs, its not far from belief that some 1.8Ts would be too (though apparently not this one)

WTF, is my typing invisible???
Why are you posting blank boxes? ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts