Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off Im new here. Great board with tons of info. I just baught my 98 passat 1.8T tip for a dailey driver. But just like the vette Im already looking up mods for the car. Had the car 2 weeks and the 18" Flik wasps are already on their way. LOL

I installed a NewSouth boost gauge and Im pulling about (steady with no jumps) 15in of vac and about 7psi of boost at part throtle (5psi at full). My problem is the gauge sounds like it has a leak under vac but everything seems sealed. Do these newsouth gauges make that noise? I have used autometer in the past and never heard them make this noise.

Thanks for the help and keep up the great info!

Dale

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
i have a newsouth guage as well... ive replaced all my vaccum lines (well, the 4 main ones) with silicone lines and i dont have a leak sound near my guage at all.

the hardest part of the install of that guage for me was putting that damn rubber band on it....that was while i was doing the offset mounting bracket.

anyways, check all seals...you gotta have a leak.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I also have a NewSouth Indigo boost gauge. Mine works fine; buy a sample jar of ST-140 silicone grease from Silicones.net and use it to help seal every hose connection on your car. It won't mix with anything or dissolve any rubber parts. Great stuff; it could be that I just installed my gauge really well, but I suspect that using this grease during installation made the seals that much tighter.

Vibration-damping hose couplers come with each gauge from NSP. I don't know why you didn't get one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just installed mine today and I have the same problem. 25 in hg. I inspected my vacuum lines and they are shot! time to replace them.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
25? wow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts