Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole Dick Cheney thing just proves my point the media and the fact that the average, and I emphasize average, citizen who turns on the news after dinner gets such a crock o' sh*t coming through their television.

As I stated in the Dick Cheney thread, I love how the major network newscasters emphasize, dramatacize and exaggerate the words "SHOT" and "SHOOT" in every line. Rarely have I heard the word "accident" being tossed in. And as posters said, it is now all about why the media was dissed. Who cares? Honestly, the VP was involved in a hunting accident. It hasn't affected my life, has it affected yours? It was just that, an unfortunate and completely understandable accident between both guys.

I usually turn on Today show in the mornings while getting ready for work just because, no real reason but from now on I'm going to start putting the only non-infomercial cable channel, History Channel. At least they won't be biased, ruthless, or put spin on the history of basket weaving. :D I've noticed that especially with the Today Show, Matt Laurer and Katie Couric go beyond the normal idiocy and berate the hell out of certain guests or speakers. It's so obvious that they bait these people, they blatantly twist the responses and will sit there and argue something until time runs out.

But it's everywhere, not just the Today Show. Newspapers are politically based, the evening news are so vague and never ever include both sides of a story (just a slanted sensationalist view) and the radio just repeats what yesterday's newspaper printed. I'm speaking for the average person who does not have access to XM radio or time to sit on the computer and research news outlets. I'm the average person who eats dinner while watching the evening news or picks up a NY Times or NY Post (the rag that it is) or flips on the local radio station in the car.

It was sort of refreshing seeing Katie Couric sort of stumble for responses after Mary Matalin (VP's ex advisor) wouldn't cave in and shot back her responses. :thumbup:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
RottyB5A2 said:
This whole Dick Cheney thing just proves my point the media and the fact that the average, and I emphasize average, citizen who turns on the news after dinner gets such a crock o' sh*t coming through their television.

As I stated in the Dick Cheney thread, I love how the major network newscasters emphasize, dramatacize and exaggerate the words "SHOT" and "SHOOT" in every line. Rarely have I heard the word "accident" being tossed in. And as posters said, it is now all about why the media was dissed. Who cares? Honestly, the VP was involved in a hunting accident. It hasn't affected my life, has it affected yours? It was just that, an unfortunate and completely understandable accident between both guys.

I usually turn on Today show in the mornings while getting ready for work just because, no real reason but from now on I'm going to start putting the only non-infomercial cable channel, History Channel. At least they won't be biased, ruthless, or put spin on the history of basket weaving. :D I've noticed that especially with the Today Show, Matt Laurer and Katie Couric go beyond the normal idiocy and berate the hell out of certain guests or speakers. It's so obvious that they bait these people, they blatantly twist the responses and will sit there and argue something until time runs out.

But it's everywhere, not just the Today Show. Newspapers are politically based, the evening news are so vague and never ever include both sides of a story (just a slanted sensationalist view) and the radio just repeats what yesterday's newspaper printed. I'm speaking for the average person who does not have access to XM radio or time to sit on the computer and research news outlets. I'm the average person who eats dinner while watching the evening news or picks up a NY Times or NY Post (the rag that it is) or flips on the local radio station in the car.

It was sort of refreshing seeing Katie Couric sort of stumble for responses after Mary Matalin (VP's ex advisor) wouldn't cave in and shot back her responses. :thumbup:
You just keep listening to that Fox News or talk radio or whatever it is you're being fed this crap from.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
RottyB5A2 said:
As I stated in the Dick Cheney thread, I love how the major network newscasters emphasize, dramatacize and exaggerate the words "SHOT" and "SHOOT" in every line. Rarely have I heard the word "accident" being tossed in.
Headlines from Google News just now (I've deleted the headlines, included only the first line of text visible from the article in Google News, and deleted any story headings that don't mention the shooting in the visible text. This is of course only the first page of headlines) I count 19 articles, and 14 uses of the words "mishap" or "accident":

Scotsman, United Kingdom - 59 minutes ago
THE investigation into US vice- president Dick Cheney's accidental shooting of a hunting partner has been closed, and police last night said no charges will be ...

Deccan Herald, India - 59 minutes ago
Speaking publicly for the first time since he shot and wounded a hunting companion last weekend, Vice-President Dick Cheney on Wednesday took responsibility ...

International Herald Tribune, France - 1 hour ago
WASHINGTON Veteran hunters and shooting experts said Thursday that they still did not understand how the vice president injured his fellow hunting partner so ...

BBC News, UK - 2 hours ago
US Vice-President Dick Cheney will not face criminal charges in relation to the accidental shooting of a companion during a hunting trip last Saturday. ...

MSNBC - 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON - Damage-control experts in both political parties agree: The handling of Vice President Dick Cheney’s hunting mishap has been a disaster, a case ...

Guardian Unlimited, UK - 2 hours ago
By NEDRA PICKLER. WASHINGTON (AP) - Texas authorities closed the investigation into Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting accident ...

Seattle Post Intelligencer - 3 hours ago
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. President Bush's comments on Saturday's hunting accident in which Vice President Dick Cheney wounded a companion ...

TVNZ, New Zealand - 3 hours ago
A police report on Vice President Dick Cheney's weekend hunting mishap said the case was closed and the local sheriff told reporters on Thursday no charges ...

Seattle Post Intelligencer - 3 hours ago
Mariners manager Mike Hargrove is a hunter, and as such, says he can't get a grasp on the nationwide furor over Vice President Dick Cheney's shooting of a ...

New York Times, United States - 3 hours ago
President Bush said this afternoon that Vice President Dick Cheney presented a "strong and powerful explanation" of how he came to shoot and injure a man while ...

CBC News, Canada - 4 hours ago
US Vice-President Dick Cheney didn't break any laws when he accidentally shot and wounded a fellow hunter on Saturday, the Kenedy County Sheriff's office in ...

Electric New Paper, Singapore - 4 hours ago
FOUR days after shooting and wounding a friend during a hunting trip, US Vice-President Dick Cheney has spoken up publicly. He told ...

Scotsman, United Kingdom - 5 hours ago
An investigation into US Vice President Dick Cheney's accidental shooting of a hunting partner has been closed and police say no charges will be filed. ...

Guardian Unlimited, UK - 5 hours ago
SARITA, Texas (AP) - The sheriff's department closed its investigation Thursday into Dick Cheney's accidental shooting of a hunting partner and said no charges ...

Washington Post, United States - 5 hours ago
President Bush is "very satisfied" with Vice President Cheney's explanation of a hunting accident in which a 78-year-old Texas lawyer was shot and wounded, a ...

San Francisco Chronicle, USA - 6 hours ago
The sheriff's department closed its investigation Thursday into Dick Cheney's accidental shooting of a hunting partner and said no charges will be filed. ...

Houston Chronicle, United States - 6 hours ago
By JAMES PINKERTON. SARITA — The Kenedy County Sheriff's Department today cleared Vice President Dick Cheney in the shooting mishap ...

Los Angeles Times, CA - 6 hours ago
By Michael Muskal, Times Staff Writer. The man wounded in a hunting accident by Vice President Dick Cheney is recovering well and ...

Malayala Manorama, India - 10 hours ago
Washington: US Vice President Dick Cheney has accepted full blame for shooting a fellow hunter and defended his decision not to disclose the accident publicly ...

The fact is, this would be described as an accidental shooting, or a shooting accident, by the media regardless of who did it. If I did this it wouldn't make international news, but my local media would most certainly describe it in the same way.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Well, I certainly dont believe all the media conspiracy theories and I dont think its as bad as you make it out to be. However, I agree about Couric and Lauer. Every time i see them I think they are the most annoyingly self absorbed people I have ever seen (Especially Kaite Couric). Their jobs have nothing to do with news or current events and everything about two people who just like to listen to themselves yap about pointless drivel.

I pray that neither one of them ever anchors the NBC nightly news. That would be a sad day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts