Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just picked up my 2000 gls v6 5 speed. its got 88000 miles on it , driving it around it feels better than my moms new jetta , but i would still like to know what kind of maintenance i should do with this many miles...what should i replace or look to see if it needs to be replaced? should i run synthetic oil? any advice? this is my first nice car i would really like to take excellent care of it , any advice or responses is greatly appreciated , i really enjoy reading this board , lots of good information on here thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
First, welcome to the club...

If you dont know the owner or dont know the care that was given to the car, get an oil change first thing. I dont know the pros and cons of synthetic vs. narutral at 88000 miles, but my impression from other people is that it is never too late for synthetic. I also dont know what other things should be looked at, i dont think the timing belt should be changed untill 100k, but im not sure, and you might want to get that checked out anyway since if it goes, so does your engine.

my educated guesses: oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, visual check of all hoses and wires to make sure they are in good condition, then maybe timing belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot jeff for the welcome and the information, the car looks and runs like its brand new and i want to keep it that way. i will definitely check the things you mentioned probably saturday or sunday. before the game of course thanks alot , any other suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a used '98 Passat 1.8t with 84k miles. You also should check & maybe change the brake fluid. I don't know the mechanical rationale but it has something to do with ABS brakes and brake fluid being something that a lot of folks neglect out of ignorance. Also, if you are out of warranty, a lot of guys have been writing the timing belt should be changed now to be on the safe side. Oh, and you will like this, also change the water pump and tensioners while you are in there. It's cheaper than doing them separately. Although, the whole thing will cost around $1000 total. :shock: I wasn't excited when I 1st heard that I just bought the car and now I have to lay down additional money but we bought a used (ok, real nice used) car. That's how it goes. I'm calling the timing belt a "peace of mind" maintenance. You can delay it, but you will be able to drive w/a lot more confidence knowing your belt isn't going to break & darn near total your engine. I'm planning to get my timing belt done w/income return so hopefully it won't be too painful.

·
0 Posts
yeah and if it breaks you loose valves galore, and 3 to 4k in repairs, not including the waterpump and tensioner pulleys. you should unless you soild proof it was recently done, absolutly change the timing belt. better safe than broke and sorry! and maybe even stranded!

·
Registered
897 Posts
welcome! you will get lots of help just wait

1 - 6 of 6 Posts