Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
NOTE: This is now posted to Passat B5/5.5 Owners Group Page on Facebook, as well as PassatWorld Group Page on Facebook. I will aggregate interest from all three to try to build a critical mass. Please post/respond here or on the other pages, but if you post here, please include your real name so I can track FB vs. PW users.

Spring is around the corner. So is tax refund season. Money's loose and so is your Passat's ass-end until you tack it back down with a SnunkBar SRS-style torsion bar stiffener.

REACTIVATED as of 16 February 2016. Need to collect deposits from 10 interesteds before I can commission production (critical mass). Time to start thinking about springtime twisties with your rear end squared away neatly behind you. Santa can pick up a bar for your FWD B5/5.5 on his way through.

I will hold costs for the first 10 interesteds to the same as first production run, $300 all-in for bar, hardware and shipping to USPS address in lower 48. If you need shipping charges estimated for address outside US48, please contact me directly. After the critical mass is achieved, I will be asking $325 for the bars, as they are a little more expensive to produce this time around.

Deposits can be sent via Paypal to keithwbloom at gmail dot com. Please consider using "send money to a friend" function so I am not charged PayPal fees. I will document and provide a receipt through Paypal for every deposit received. Deposit is 50% to secure your unit in this production run. I will order a surplus again, but not a great excess, so if you want your SRS bar in this lot, I highly recommend you get your deposit in before production run is complete and ready to deliver.

Balance will be due when bars are ready to ship, in about 4 weeks time from critical mass (estimated). Critical mass will be 10 deposits received.

Here's a link to the original production run group buy. This run will be powder coated in a new color.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/10...ner-300-a.html

Passat B5/B5.5 FWD rear torsion beam stiffener, modeled after the SRS Real Street sway bar, fabricated from 4130 cro-moly tubing and 4130 plate, TIG welded by a master welder and finished in gloss black powder coat, a premium finish for a more refined appearance (not that it matters much because the bar is mounted under the car where only those with black patent leather shoes will ever see it—nevertheless, you will know it is tidy in its appearance). Premium grade 18-8 stainless steel fasteners, washers and nylon lock nuts included.

The SnunkBar SRS-style rear torsion beam stiffener is ridiculously easy to install (or remove) on a lift. Installation does requires a heavy duty drill (no cordless drill will have a long enough charge capacity to bore the torsion beam 8 times), and longer carbide/adamantium drill bit (size .375"), but with c-clamps as an aid, the bar itself serves as a drill alignment jig and eventually bolts up tight with the four 4" fasteners shown.

Special thanks to Status for drumming up interest once again.

Hereafter is the content of his original FEELER post:

So I've been reading a lot about the magic that is keithwbloom's SRS-style sway bar, and that it will make all the ladies want to ride in my car once it's installed.

Is there anyone interested in getting another run made? Of course this doesn't have to be right away but I want to get the ball rolling and see if anyone else wants one.

Come on and let's give our Passat the 'stiffy' it deserves!

EDIT: List of interests so far... (reset to nil as of 16 February 2016).
1. surtov

:wrench:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I joined PW just for input from fellas like dick shine and the swami.
I liked the Passat variant size and I thought the VW marquee would be less problematic than my allroad.
My old skool shop guys all feel the sway bar is the holy grail of handleing.
Yes, I'd be interested in one...is it for the 4mo?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm interested. if he isn't interested in building more if I get the specs, I'm game in making a production run myself.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
Guessing it wasn't for the 4-motion.....
No it won't fit the 4MO...
And 2 for 4Mo :)
I joined PW just for input from fellas like dick shine and the swami.
I liked the Passat variant size and I thought the VW marquee would be less problematic than my allroad.
My old skool shop guys all feel the sway bar is the holy grail of handleing.
Yes, I'd be interested in one...is it for the 4mo?
Then back to the thread where we all were left looking at the little red box indicating a part number.
I am also watching interest there to see if my metal fabricator can make a 22mm RSB for 4-mo if there is enough interest. If you find a price for a 4-mo compatible RSB, LMK. I'm pretty sure I can beat it with my supplier, and the quality is excellent. Two dozen SnunkBar owners can attest.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am also watching interest there to see if my metal fabricator can make a 22mm RSB for 4-mo if there is enough interest. If you find a price for a 4-mo compatible RSB, LMK. I'm pretty sure I can beat it with my supplier, and the quality is excellent. Two dozen SnunkBar owners can attest.

I volunteer to prototype if you/they need a car :D

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'll chime in here just to confirm that the SRS style bar is indeed the bees knees. Mine is installed with stock springs and stock shocks and the difference is night and day.

I have yet to even try it with a real wheel and tire setup too. Even on my steelies and mushy 195/65/15 snows it transforms the way the car feels in corners. I can't wait for spring to drive it with the 17s and wider, stiffer rubber.

Any loss in ride comfort is negligible and I only feel it on rough chopped up sections of pavement. In short, just get one you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'll chime in here just to confirm that the SRS style bar is indeed the bees knees. Mine is installed with stock springs and stock shocks and the difference is night and day.

I have yet to even try it with a real wheel and tire setup too. Even on my steelies and mushy 195/65/15 snows it transforms the way the car feels in corners. I can't wait for spring to drive it with the 17s and wider, stiffer rubber.

Any loss in ride comfort is negligible and I only feel it on rough chopped up sections of pavement. In short, just get one you won't regret it.
Where abouts in ma are you? I wouldn't mind seeing how much they help

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Nice , I'm living in Gloucester and working in middleton so we are around the same area at some points, I'm down for some time and love to see other cars expecially passat

1 - 20 of 77 Posts