Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's I'm here for a friend. A girl I know drive's a 2000 vw passat and is lookin for some advice on mods. I'm from the dsm world so first thing I think of is a boost controller, but I was wondering how the ecu reacts to em, and how much boost she could safely get away with, we don't plan to do any fuel work as of yet she just wants a decent bang for the buck mod that's reliable, nothing crazy fast. I tried searching and read about chips being a good deal, so I was wondering if you guy's think it's better to chip the car instead of raising the boost and if so what's a good chip to go with.

She wanted a bov too but from the search I did it seemed like your vw's didn't like to be vented, I read that it might throw a few CEL's and make's the car go rich? I personally don't think being a little rich is a big deal, much safer than being lean, lol, but I'm more worried about it throwing a couple of CEL's and making the car act funny. It's not my car so I'm more interested in reliability above all else, she's just looking for advice to get a little extra umph out of her car.

Any help would be appreciated I know you guys prob have heard this typa question a million time's and I did try to search and even laughed at some of the replies you guy's posted for people to use the damn search function, lol, so if it mean's anything, I did use the search feature, before I even registered.

Also her car is auto if that helps any.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hey guy's I'm here for a friend. A girl I know drive's a 2000 vw passat and is lookin for some advice on mods. I'm from the dsm world so first thing I think of is a boost controller, but I was wondering how the ecu reacts to em, and how much boost she could safely get away with, we don't plan to do any fuel work as of yet she just wants a decent bang for the buck mod that's reliable, nothing crazy fast. I tried searching and read about chips being a good deal, so I was wondering if you guy's think it's better to chip the car instead of raising the boost and if so what's a good chip to go with.

She wanted a bov too but from the search I did it seemed like your vw's didn't like to be vented, I read that it might throw a few CEL's and make's the car go rich? I personally don't think being a little rich is a big deal, much safer than being lean, lol, but I'm more worried about it throwing a couple of CEL's and making the car act funny. It's not my car so I'm more interested in reliability above all else, she's just looking for advice to get a little extra umph out of her car.

Any help would be appreciated I know you guys prob have heard this typa question a million time's and I did try to search and even laughed at some of the replies you guy's posted for people to use the damn search function, lol, so if it mean's anything, I did use the search feature, before I even registered.

Also her car is auto if that helps any.
the ecu will not tolerate the boost controller , just get her a chip from apr or giack it will cost about 500 or less and will add about 40-50hp to the passat if it is 1.8t
or get her the k04 turbo kit this will set you back about 1200$
but i would go with the chip for a girl it will be more then enough...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the ecu will not tolerate the boost controller , just get her a chip from apr or giack it will cost about 500 or less and will add about 40-50hp to the passat if it is 1.8t
or get her the k04 turbo kit this will set you back about 1200$
but i would go with the chip for a girl it will be more then enough...

Yeah that sounds good, whats a good site to buy that chip from? I'll search it up and see what I can find, APR it's called? The turbokit is too much, something that adds 40hp is more than enough, I always heard vw's like chips but never knew they really add that much hp.

Thanks for the info and quick reply!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Yeah that sounds good, whats a good site to buy that chip from? I'll search it up and see what I can find, APR it's called? The turbokit is too much, something that adds 40hp is more than enough, I always heard vw's like chips but never knew they really add that much hp.

Thanks for the info and quick reply!
yeap go apr.com it is.... you will have to take the ecu out and send it to them
you will see all the instrractions on the site.. good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again guys I'll let her know about this and see if it's in her price range, I wasn't too sure how much she wanted to spend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just thinking...a boost controller is a hell of a lot cheaper. I know bein cheap isn't a good thing when trying to stay reliable, but no one here has gotten away with a little more boost on an otherwise stock car?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
just chip it..if you have have a apr or giac dealer around you all you do is go there get your ecu flashed and dont have to send in your ecu(takes about 15minutes)

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Nah. First mod should be fixing EVERYTHING wrong with the car. You will hate yourself if you slap a shiny toy on your girlfriend's car and she blows the engine because the extra stress causes multiple soft-part failure. You will be the biggest douche ever if this happens.

Plus, you'll have to take her shopping three times a week until you get her car fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah. First mod should be fixing EVERYTHING wrong with the car. You will hate yourself if you slap a shiny toy on your girlfriend's car and she blows the engine because the extra stress causes multiple soft-part failure. You will be the biggest douche ever if this happens.

Plus, you'll have to take her shopping three times a week until you get her car fixed.
She's not my girlfriend and yes I am a Douchbag what can I say. j/k the car is fine, and I'm not throwing anything on her car just helping her decide, believe me I've been there with this hobby.

www.cardomain.com/id/jimmy169

That's my car domain site of my first car that I modded, it's been a while. I'm lookin for reliability, only reason I thought boost controller might be fine is cause of my dsm backround, if u don't go crazy and boost like an idiot, just raise it like 3-4psi, I figure'd it'd be fine but I'm taking your word for it since this isn't a dsm (dsms could handle a bit more than raising it 3-4psi with stock everything, but passed 15psi and you'd prob want a fuel pump to start with), but then come's the issue of spiking and hitting 20psi if the boost controller fails which has happened to me, so I agree after thinking it over some more, was just curious if any of you guys had gotten away with a little more boost, but chip def. seems like the best bang for the buck.

Thanks again for the info guys, I'm getting tempted to buy a vw myself one of these days, nice little cars I'm starting to want luxury more and more over the cold winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts