Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to VW and am looking to buy a 2001 or newer Passat and noticed that many of the people in this post use the terms "W8" and "variant." What exactly is the difference between a Passat W8 Sedan and a Passat Sedan?

I know these are lame questions, but I'm new at this. I've been driving a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix for the last 6 years, oh it's color is Aquamarine. (yes, feel sorry for me)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
variant is the term for station wagon
the difference between the W8 and a regular gls sedan is that the W8 has an 8 cylinder engine as well as 4 motion all wheel drive.

hope these answers help

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
variant is a wagon. and the W8 is an engine. It's an evolution of the VW 'VR' engines. These use a common head, and narrow angle between cylinders (so it's like half way between a V, and inline. The W is basically two of these connected at the crank. So there's 15 degrees between the cylinders in each bank, and two banks separated by 65 degrees (IIRC).

Think of the W8 as an odd V8.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi and welcome to the club. A Passat W8 is one with the 8 cylinder engine (cylinders in more of a "W" configuration than a "V"). The term "variant" is the German equivalent of stationwagon.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
"Variant" is what the station wagon is called in Germany. We're just cool like that.

"W8" refers to the W8 engine, where the engine consists of two V4 engines that are then arranged in a "V" of their own. (That is grossly simplified, but will do.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thank you for the info.. that link really cleared things up. So here's more questions for you:

So I can in a Passat, one can get a I4 1.8T, a V6 2.8, or the new W8 engine. But what years are each engine avaliable. I'm looking at getting a used 2001-2003 Passat. Also, I did want an automatic, but a 6-speed would be nice also, what years and engines can you get a 6-speed?

I've looked for the answers to these questions, forum's seem to be the only way, and this one seems to be the best.

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 1.8T and V6 are available in the years you specify. I believe the W8 was first available as a model year 2002. You should be aware that a mid year change occured in 2001 resulting in what you will see referred to as the B5.5 This included a 20 HP and 11 lb/ft. torque increase for the 1.8T and numerous other changes. 1.8Ts and FWD V6s are available with manual or tiptronic trans. V6 4 mos. are tiptronic only. W8s were originally tip. only but later added the 6 speed. If you purchase a 2002 or newer 1.8T, make sure the coil packs have been updated.

JC

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
MattinPismo said:
Now Im curious as to my 2000 GLX,
So VW went away from the VR's and to a regular V6? when was that?
I believe none of the B5 generation V6's have VR engines all typical V6 engines.

If you get the auto, then it's a 5-speed Tiptronic, the manual is a 5-speed except the W8 Sport Edition (which I believe is the only model available in 6-speed correct?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am also new to the VW brand and love my new (used, new to me) 2000 Passat.
The only advise I would offer, and remember I'm new, so I may not know what I'm talking about. But if your a normal guy like me, you might be interested in knowing that should something go wrong with your Automatic Tiptronic transmission(should you get one) I have heard that they are rather expensive to replace. I don't know about a rebuild, but I hear a replacement can be pretty pricey. Just something you may want to consider before your future purchase. I personally got burned on GM automatic transmissions about 4 years ago and have owned 3 or 4 different brands since, but all have been manuals. Haven't been to a transmission shop since I sold that piece of @%$# automatic GM. Never again!!! :puke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
12 Participants
Blue A
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing