Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new passat, has less than 300 miles. So far the car is awesome!! :D It just keeps begging to go faster and faster. Anyhow, I wanted to find out if I should flow certain guidelines for breaking in the car. I drive a stick. The manual recommends not to exceed more than 80mph for the first 600 miles. Any other suggestions?

Also, I am thinking of driving from Florida to DC. Any helpfull sugesstions before I cruise my way up would be very helpful!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Well if your not supposed to exceed 80 miles, then how will you ever get to 600 miles? Guess that Florida to DC trip is out of the question, more then 80 miles. :shock:

:lol: Just drive it. I wouldn't ebrake drift it around corners or Dukes of Hazard it over the railroad tracks, but that is just me. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well that trip should be ok. I did a long trip in my mom's new car when I was back home a few years ago. Just don't pressure it too much. It'll also help the ECU relearn your driving style I've been told.

·
Registered
325 Posts
BTW, how long is that Gainesville to DC run? I was thinking of going up to pay my respects to Reagan. I was just born when he was first elected but he was my most lasting memory of the US until I came here in 99.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
JEM said:
Well if your not supposed to exceed 80 miles, then how will you ever get to 600 miles? Guess that Florida to DC trip is out of the question, more then 80 miles. :shock:

:lol: Just drive it. I wouldn't ebrake drift it around corners or Dukes of Hazard it over the railroad tracks, but that is just me. Have fun with it.
bro its 80mph not 80 miles!!! :lol: :lol:

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
yes, I understand that, but when he originally wrote it, before it was edited, it said 80 miles.

Chill out, I was just screwin with him, that was his first post on CB5.

·
Registered
245 Posts
From what I remember reading mine. It said to limit max speed to 3/4 of vehicle max with no wide open throttle for the first 1000. Then wot occasionally with 3/4 max speed until 1500 miles.

Here is what I did. I ran it slowly and cautiously up to the governor (138 mph) and back down. That being the max speed I figured 100mph would be OK. I ran the first 1000 with no WOT and keep my cruising speed on the autobahn between 80 to 100 mph. After that, I progressively gave it more pedal to get it to WOT and then back off at 100mph. After that it was ran as hard as I could on the road conditions for that day. :D

Most important thing to do...Enjoy your Car :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
JEM said:
yes, I understand that, but when he originally wrote it, before it was edited, it said 80 miles.

Chill out, I was just screwin with him, that was his first post on CB5.
i am not mad!! :lol: i just thought u read it wrong! NO hard feelings!

:thumbup:

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've also heard people say that when you break a new engine in, you wanna vary the engine speed, you don't wanna run it at a constant, steady speed, such as cruising down the highway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I remember when I bought my 2000 1.8t, I asked the sales guy about a break in period and he said "Make sure you keep it under 2/3 of the speedometer for the first thousand miles." "Oh, so... under 120mph?" "Aaah,.. yeah, I guess so." he answered.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just bought a 5spd. 4motion Variant,
and days after I bought it, I was forced to travel from
R.I. to Vermont.

I took it easy- keeping the RPMs under 4000.
It was great. You won't have any problems.
Just don't drive like Andretti, and the car
will be fine.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm thinking the FL>DC run would be a nice break in drive. Tiring and long, but perfect for getting a new engine settled. Martens VW in DC is a good choice for getting your first, documented oil change. Don't go the full 3000 miles before having that first one done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info! The first day I got the car I drove around town aimlessly for two hours. This car's a lot of fun to drive!

The trip to DC is normally about 10-11 hours. But, I am going to stop by the smokey mountains and do some hiking. There should be lots of curvy roads to enjoy the drive! Florida is too damn flat.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
mackman said:
I've also heard people say that when you break a new engine in, you wanna vary the engine speed, you don't wanna run it at a constant, steady speed, such as cruising down the highway.
exactly...

you do not want to make a liong trip at a constant RPM... no good for the break in...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.