Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2002 with the 1.8T and the triptronic AT and I find that there is quite a bit of hesitation especially from a dead stop. For example, when I am in "D" and at a dead stop and then push down the accelerator kind of hard but not floored or anything the transmission seems to sit there for a second before it decides to engage. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Sharky said:
That's that German Engineered "you talkin' to ME??" throttle response.

Enjoy.
:lol:

Actually, the dealer prep adjusts it so that you come back to them and say there's something wrong so they can charge you for some part that you thought was covered under warranty!!! Isn't that the truth Sharky???

It's actually the DBW lag time ESPECIALLY if you have a 1.8T and a Tip. I have that combo and at first it was frustrating but then the tranny adapts a little and you also adapt a little - so you will get use to it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sharky is right as always. This lag has been discussed here before. Try the search feature.

Some believe that some performance chips reduce this delay. Others say that there is an adaptation you can perform on the transmission to get it to engage a bit faster. I have a manual transmission so my only complaint is that the 1.8T's throttle response is pretty poor.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the transmission or something. I can live with the lag, but it will take some getting used to. Thanks for the responses!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts