Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings PW members :biglaugh:

I am a first time owner of a VW, Passat 2006 2.0T

I was wondering, if changing oil at 3k is better than at 5k? Does it have any effect? or am I going to waste my money? :crazy:

Also what kind of oil change I should be taking? Syn.Oil change or will regular oil change do for my car?

Thanks in advance

(Had my first oil change done, just used a regular one)

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
OMG. You should have done a search and read your owner's manual. You must use VW spec. oil or your engine warranty (and maybe your engine) will be kaput. Regular motor oil does not cut it since it doesn't meet VW specs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Your Owners Manual will tell you the intervals and the oil requirements for your car.
In all likelyhood, 5K OCI and synthetic oil will keep your 2.0 happy.

(Before you ask, OCI is Oil Change Interval)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
BTW, by synthetic i mean VW 502.00 (all teh approved oils are synthetic)
Make sure thats on the label.
Note that I am not implying taht you have killed your car, so don't worry about that. However a full OCI on the stuff could. also, it likely voids your warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the reply, I guess I left out that I did it at the dealership, they said syn. oil change will cost me around 120 bucks =p ... so I ended up doing 60 dollar one which wasnt a syn. oil change...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Thank for the reply, I guess I left out that I did it at the dealership, they said syn. oil change will cost me around 120 bucks =p ... so I ended up doing 60 dollar one which wasnt a syn. oil change...
Then you're dealer's
a: Full of incompetentsgiven teh massive sludge issues they ahd on the earlier cars
b: Overcharging

Find a good indie VW/Audi dealer. They'll charge you half that. Keep your records and it'll be fine. Remember to specify the oil, or better, bring you own.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I cannot believe they actually let you put something other then synthetic in it. Oh wait, yes I can, many dealers are downright stupid when it comes to their own cars! :banghead:

Return your car, demand they put synthetic in it and that you pay the difference, not the full $120 again. They should not have even given you an option to put dino oil in there. Make sure it is noted on the service records that THEY screwed up.

5K is fine as long as you're using synthetic. Also, demand to know what kind of synthetic they're using. Typically the dealers use GERMAN CASTROL 5W-40 but as they just let you put crap in there who knows what kind of synthetic they're using.

You want to be using an oil that is certified for VW502 in turbocharged cars such as the 1.8T and 2.0T. Using anything else is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Dont wait to change the oil, if you can afford good oil(and gas for that matter) you cant afford to own a passat. Plan and simple get it change asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found the list of oil that I can use, guess i'll buy 6 bottles with filter and find a friendly body shop..

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Found the list of oil that I can use, guess i'll buy 6 bottles with filter and find a friendly body shop..
Body shop?
You just need a repair shop that works on VWs (look for anyone that specialized in european cars). Vws are a bit more complex than a camry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts