Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a super-clean 2004 1.8T 4Motion manual sedan from the dealer who sold me my last Passat (1992 B3 sedan, bought new in 1993, traded in for this one).

I love this car! Grey metallic, ESP, 16" alloys, fogs, moonroof. The OEM alloy-look trim kit looks terrific with the charcoal interior (leatherette). I plan to keep it a long time, maybe not 13 years this time, though.

In my neck of the urban woods, pretty much all you see is Tiptronics and I have the idea that manual 1.8Ts with 4Motion might be uncommon. Question for the board is, how uncommon? I saw a couple of posts from folks who went a long way to buy the last new ones but how many might there be, all years?

Not to stir up deeply held convictions on a first post but I must say, I much preferred the 1.8T manual to the V6 4Motion wagon I tried at the same time, with Tiptronic.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I believe that 2004 was the first year that they offered a 4motion with 1.8t and manual tranny in North America. Prior to that, you had to buy an A4 to get that configuration. So you're right, they're very rare.

Welcome to the club!

Kenny

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the club :thumbup:

I have a 2005 1.8t manual 4motion sedan. I didn’t realize how rare it was until I joined this club.
Except for monster mats and tint I’m still bone stock, I’m planning on changing that this spring :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Interesting to know the model wasn't offered earlier.

Mine is also box stock and likely to stay that way, due to family and the length of remaining warranty. With 50 months left on the warranty and two years of extended coverage, it might be 2010 before I get around to chipping the motor. And then will it be a good idea? For now, I want to keep the dealer on my side. Last Passat (16V 2.0) needed timing gear/shaft replacement just out of warranty, to the tune of $1,200, which the dealer swallowed without question while giving me a brand new, black Turbo Beetle for a loaner. Of course, the kids thought I should arrange for the car to break down more often :cool: But maybe an iPod kit, alloy rims for next season's winter tire purchase, or ....

The main reason for buying a 4Motion was winter traction but I hope for other performance benefits in the form of more neutral handling through the twisties. Theory or fact for a B5 4Mo? Question covered elsewhere by old threads?

·
Registered
217 Posts
BToo said:
Thanks for the responses. Interesting to know the model wasn't offered earlier.

Mine is also box stock and likely to stay that way, due to family and the length of remaining warranty. With 50 months left on the warranty and two years of extended coverage, it might be 2010 before I get around to chipping the motor. And then will it be a good idea? For now, I want to keep the dealer on my side. Last Passat (16V 2.0) needed timing gear/shaft replacement just out of warranty, to the tune of $1,200, which the dealer swallowed without question while giving me a brand new, black Turbo Beetle for a loaner. Of course, the kids thought I should arrange for the car to break down more often :cool: But maybe an iPod kit, alloy rims for next season's winter tire purchase, or ....

The main reason for buying a 4Motion was winter traction but I hope for other performance benefits in the form of more neutral handling through the twisties. Theory or fact for a B5 4Mo? Question covered elsewhere by old threads?
I have an '04.5 1.8T 4Mo 5Spd (bought Oct '04). Unfortunately your hoped-for performance benefits in the twisties isn't there. The car with the stock suspension still leans alot in turns and "floats" over bumps like the FWDs.

This thread:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1310177#post1310177

talks about suspension options available for this rare setup, if you're so inclined.

Welcome to the club!

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Okay, just because I'm a glutton for punishment ...

In the '04 and '05 model years, there were a total of 2,333 Passats available for sale in North America that had a 1.8t motor, the 4MO drivetrain and a 5-spd manual trasmission. Of those:

2004: 1,877
2005: 456

Sedan: 1,676
Variant: 657

and most importantly ...

US: 1,946
Canada: 387

Just for you, BToo ...

2004, Canada, Sedan, 1.8t, 4MO, stickshift: 158
Of those, with Silverstone gray: 31 (there's no such color in my directory as "Grey metallic")
Tack on "leatherette": 19

That's as far as I'm breaking it down.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am soooo envious of you guys with the 1.8T 4mo MT5 cars. When I bought my '02 in August of '02 I wanted that configuration so badly, and thought the only reason it wasn't available was because VAG didn't want any in-house competition for the Audi A4, which was a runaway sales and profit success. I wouldn't buy the Audi because I couldn't shoehorn my tall kids in the backseat, even though I tried. I still dream about getting a Reflex Silver/Gray Leather GLS 1.8T 4mo MT5, so if anyone knows where one is.....
Manx :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just traded my metallic green 2004.5 4mo Variant 5speed in for a van that I really had to have. 25k on it. cold weather package, dark grey perforated leatherette, otherwise stock. no esp

I hear it was wholesale'd to a dealer in Rome NY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry -- dropped out for a few days but thanks to Traubenberg for the awsome statistics, right down to the color and interior. Now I'll be looking for those 18 others. Must be a few around here.

Lean and float on the stock suspension--yes, I could see the benefit of a few choice mods if the sailboat didn't take every spare dime. So let's just say it leans less than a Contessa 26 and doesn't float as much between May and October ;) In the meantime, my only small gripes with it are a really notchy 1-2 upshift and about the longest clutch take-up I've ever experienced. Otherwise it's a pure pleasure after that 16V 2.0 -- a rough beast if there ever was one, couldn't stand to push it past 4500.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If any of you 4Mo. owners are interested...

I've got a few things out of my 04.5 4Mo. Manual since I'm going back to stock and selling her for a Variant. Here's what I've got. Let me know if you'd like more info on any of it.

All of these are specific to the 4Motion :b55:
1. GIAC Programmed ECU - Would need your compatible ECU plus cash
2. H&R Sport Springs - Red with stock number 29795
3. Custom designed rear subwoofer box - Designed by STLB5. Do a search and you will see how well his products are...puts out very good sound without taking away any trunk space.
4. Wood grain 5-Speed shift knob from Germany (OEM).

Please PM me if interested. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts