Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '01 Passat (early model), since the new style came into effect later that year.
Well, I am looking to get 19" or 18" tires and rims. Can't decide which size. I have heard and seen all these sites like:
wheelmax.com
wheelsmax.com
tirerack.com
etc...

I do not know the best place to go. I am looking for "business" type style for my car. I don't need the "bling bling" as this car is for business and pleasure. I have seen some nice Silver type rims on Audi's, so I'm leaning towards Silver, or Silver with Polish tip. Any help would be appreciated! :wink:

Also, I live in the midwest, so we get snow during the winter. Would probably end up changing my tires when winter comes, but if I didn't have to that would be a benefit. (not sure if driving on 18's or 19's is safe for the winter).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've never bought rims before, but I have been doing lots of internet research and I've found 4 popular dealers, 2 of which are so-so and the other 2 are outstanding:

wheelmax isn't that dependable, i would stay away. I don't know if it's just me, but I've called them a few times and they always sound shady. i don't know, it's just my human instincts telling me they're not great.

wheelguyz has had the occasional screw-up, but they're good for the most part. they've got the HP Racing Evo rims if you're into that look.

wheelexchange is very dependable and has a great history. just check out their ebay ratings: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43957&item=2469563633

discounttiredirect.com is supposed to be one of the best, they've been around for a long time supposedly.

Always ask about lugs, center caps, and hubcentric rings. Hopefully most of those items will be included free of charge. Consider getting locks and new valve stems as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gnosis, that will help me. I also saw some Mille Miglia 19's at tirereack.com. Those look pretty nice too!
Anyone else know of a good website that actually has pictures of Passats with rims and tires? I'm assuming the owners posting their pics on the web. Thanks :bow:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
right here in this forum is the best place! Go to "ClubB5 member directory" from the main page and click on one of the U.S. sections as a start.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found some Mille Miglia Rims that I really like. They are Action rims and come in 18" for the Passat, and possibly 19". I found them on tirerack.com. They are bright silver painted in color. I'm thinking on getting those, but can't decide if I should do 18's or 19's? I want to keep them on in the winter time (I live in the midwest) so I get plenty of snow in the winter time. What are people's thoughts on the tire size? much difference? Would I have to adjust any suspension or anything? I do not want to if I don't have to. Thanks

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You'll want to lower your car if you get 18's or 19's, unless you're going for the Touareg look. I would suggest no bigger than 18's for midwest conditions. Some might even advise against the 18's and say no bigger than 17.

I forgot to mention edgeracing.com has some nice wheels, I like the Flik line in particular.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gnosis, thanks once again for the advice. I think I have come to a conclusion. I'm going to buy 17" rims (Mille Miglia Action) along with a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z Blackwall tires. I want to drive this in the winter time and I do not want to have to drop my vehicle. I want to keep it "as is". I think this combination will look very sharp!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A fine choice, my friend. That wheel style will definitely make them look more like 18's too. And those tires... my God, they're rated #1 and they cost more than the rims! You can't go wrong there. :thumbup:

Post some pics when you get your new shoes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If all goes as planned, I will definately post pics on the site!
Also, I am planning on buying from tirerack.com, but they are out of the 17" rims. Know of any other site I can get this same configuration from?
Otherwise, I am waiting for a call back from tirerack.com to confirm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help. Thank you gnosis as I went to the discounttiredirect.com website to buy some Tech 5's with some Pirelli P6 Four Season Tires. Can't wait to post pics!!

Thank you once again everyone for your help you made it a lot easier for me and will try to give my feedback as I get more and more familiar with this site and my Passat. :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts