Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, here she is. I got her a couple weeks ago down at maryland. I drove 120 miles for her. I was soo pumped. But then i realized her owner had abused her really bad. But i took the chance. I realized she had bad control arms on the front right side. She needed tire rods on all side. She also needed a rack and pinion since she had some horroble steering fluid leak. Well, before i knew all that, i took her to pepboys :puke: just to diagnose her. To do all that, they wanted $2000. heck no, i was not dropping all that money again. I knew the dealer would even be much more expensive. Maybe $3000. So i let her sit in the parking lot :( for a couple days as i worked hard. Looked for ideal all around and finally i found a VW junk yard in Washington State. I got all the parts wich came with a 1 yr warranty. Then i headed to my mechanic, he is from Germany. Purely proffesioned on Vw's and Audis even though he does not mind working on other brands. Really nice guy. Has his own little shop. He got all the parts installed and the whole thing cost me $700. Yea, i saved. Then i got her a timing belt since i do not want to take any chances with her breaking. She drive sweet, she is mad fast, love it.

Let the Mods begin.

I am looking forward to -:
- Lower her by an inch or so, so i ll need springs that have a 0.8-0.9 inch drop. I would like her a little lower on the front than the back. ??
-I am thinking of Neuspeed shocks ??
-I am also thinking of a spolier, i am not sure or i should get one or not, if i do, a lip spoiler or not ?
-I gotta drop a sick stereo system on it off course. ??
Then i am thinking of 17's or 18's. ??
-I already got her some HID lights and clear side markers.
-I ll drop her a K&N filter but i dont know or i ll go any further than that on perfomance. Any cheap stuff, i ll do. just tell me.

Well, i need input on those parts. bring ideas. All will be seriously put to consideration. Also, feel free to post pics of any of those items/subjects mentioned. Thanks Alot everyone

Introducing my first ever VW, give it up for ...... :whistle: , she has no name yet but dont worry, we'll get her one soon.

We have not seen much snow action with snow here in lancaster. Its January and so far we have had 2-3 inches which is already gone.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yes, daily car. My sister just turned 16, so i bought this and gave her my 98 Plymoth Breeze :puke: , . I hope i will not have to use it again.
Nice Gesture :thumbup:

As for the car. Is that a dent I see on the Pass. side door? If that was me I'd be getting that fixed next (but that's me)
Spoiler - That's up to you but I like the lip stlye. Check out the Zender Replica's.
The K&N Filter idea is always a debate here on PW. Some will say do it and others will say stay away. I have one in my Passat and I have had them in my previous 3 other vehicles with no prolems at all.
Be careful about the drop. I know the roads up there car be rough and if you get snow a lot of snow you could be screwed since this is your daily driver.
Rim sizes, that is a personal preference. Some say the bigger the better but remember that the larger the rim is you will have less rubber between the road and the rim so your ride may suffer. If you plan on keeping them on 12 months a year I'd consider no bigger than 18's because of the winters you could suffer up there and the potholes :nervous: But that's just my 2 cents. Good Luck with her...

·
Registered
691 Posts
hi :thumbup:

i live just north of Hershey - out in Grantville... i know the roads around here aren't the best - but there are tons of guys w/ lowered vw's around... esp. down in lancaster area.

our b5 has 1-1/2" h&R springs, and other than a dead possum incident ;) we've had no problems with it being lowered as it is. we run 16's in the winter, and had 17's on it this past summer/fall. unless we get new wheels in the near future, the 17's will be going back on.

check out cepavw.org for a bunch of local gtg's etc - not many passat owners, but lots of good guys - like i said, a BUNCH live in the lancaster area

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
K&N is fine...I've had no trouble with a dirty upper airbox/screen in 50k+ miles of use, and there were no excess particulates in the oil according to my last analysis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts